Campaigns versus Strategic Layer

First off i completely understand that Battlefront wont entertain the idea of a Strategic Layer, thats not the point of this post. After reading Hunters (Hunting Tank Software) speech about Combat Mission Campaigns (CMC) i appreciate the complexities.

I was one of these chaps hoping / wishing for a Strategic Layer initially but after playing the CMBN Campaigns i dont really think there is a need for it anymore.

Campaigns are designed to be balanced more or less. In a Strategic Layer you could end up with battles of a squad versus a couple of battalions type battles.

Having said that i still feel the Campaigns need some work to increase the continuity between battles although i am not sure what. Maybe a pre battle OOB may help , i find myself writing notes on a sheet of A4 , units , names , experience ... creates that affinity.

Steve did post a while back suggesting BF were softening to the idea of slight experience gain if its within the scope of the campaign date range / number of battles. Must be a few other things like this that can be added too.

As for CMBN in general , bravo , outstanding product.

Anyway , just thought i would share some thoughts.

Scott

In CMBO I actually created my own campaign with a set of rules I wrote down on a paper. With a dice and some simple rules for point loss and or reward for previous battle I made a simple drawing of germany with different sized cities that I tried to capture. Really random and very simplified (not for the grognards out there) but it still gave me a sense of fun and progression.

This was off course based on the quickbattle system and the only thing that really changed was the amount of points me and the computer had in the different battles.

I wouldn't mind something super simple...just for the funloving part of the crowd.

Modders get to work ;) .

//Niklas