AI targets

I'm not sure if this was asked before but will the AI target higher ranking soldiers if it has the opportunity to do so? Say I have a HQ unit out in a field, will the AI try and kill off the commander before any of the other units? I ask because I had a FO unit walk across a field and the only member of the unit to be killed was the FO himself thus rendering the unit useless, I thought it was really smart of the AI to take him out and wanted to know if it was intended or a fluke.

Not that I'm aware of.

They do target individual soldiers, but I don't think they have a preference for one type of soldier in a unit over another (aside from the 'I can see him')

The AI may have a preference for targeting certain types of units above others. Don't know for certain. It did in CMx1. E.g., mortars and HQs were bullet magnets, I believe.