Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Apparently no comprehensive English-language history of Serbia's role in WW1 existed before the translated (and cut down) work of Andrej Mitrovic was published by Purdue Univ Pr in 2007. I am looking through it now and it epitomises the flaws of what we in America call the New Military History, namely the traditional military aspects taking a decided back seat to the society and politics themes. I don't know if the translated book simply cut out all the military detail from Mitrovic's original work but there is almost nothing here. There are no maps at all, and the 1914 campaigns are covered only in a few paragraphs of an almost 400 page book. Yikes. It is amazing how many gaps still exist in the literature, esp. outside the Western Front.

I still enjoyed the book, but you're right that the actual campaigns aren't really covered compared with the social themes. But they were an eye opener for me given the paucity of information on Serbia in most books on the war.

A British woman, Flora Sandes, did serve as a sergeant in the Serbian army and published one or maybe more books on her time there. I think that one might be available on the internet archive page.