Buying new CPU - Opinions from Group on SPECS

Folks,

I am going to purchase a new CPU (happy with monitor - Iiyama Pro450). I am looking to get a CPU that I will not feel the need to update or replace for about 3 years. Money is not so much an object as not having to not bother with updating for awhile. Main purpose of the machine is gaming. I play Combat Mission, OPART and Uncommon Valor.

With that said, the following are the specs on a machine I am thinking of getting. Your comments (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge is fairly limited.

System:

Pentium 4 2800 Base System/533MHz FSB

Motherboard:

Asus P4T533-C P4 RDRAM Motherboard w/USB 2.0, 6-ch audio, 10/100 LAN

Memory:

512Mb PC 1066 RDRAM

Hard Drive:

120Gig EIDE Western Digital Caviar (Special Edition) Model 1200 JB

Drive Controller:

Promise Fast Track - 100 TX2IDE RAID Controller

Video Card:

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AGP w/128Mb DDR memory

CD DVD #1:

Lite-On 16X IDE DVD Drive Model LTD-163 OEM

CD DVD #2:

TEAC CDW540E 40x12x48 EIDE CDRW Drive w/8m Cache

Operating System:

Windows 2000

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Pete

Originally posted by ottoman Main purpose of the machine is gaming. I play Combat Mission, OPART and Uncommon Valor.

With that said, the following are the specs on a machine I am thinking of getting. Your comments (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge is fairly limited.

System:

Pentium 4 2800 Base System/533MHz FSB

Motherboard:

Asus P4T533-C P4 RDRAM Motherboard w/USB 2.0, 6-ch audio, 10/100 LAN

Memory:

512Mb PC 1066 RDRAM

Hard Drive:

120Gig EIDE Western Digital Caviar (Special Edition) Model 1200 JB

Drive Controller:

Promise Fast Track - 100 TX2IDE RAID Controller

Video Card:

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AGP w/128Mb DDR memory

CD DVD #1:

Lite-On 16X IDE DVD Drive Model LTD-163 OEM

CD DVD #2:

TEAC CDW540E 40x12x48 EIDE CDRW Drive w/8m Cache

Operating System:

Windows 2000

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Pete[/QB]

--------------------------------------------------

Wish I had one of those!!

One point though, the Radeon card does NOT support

fog. I'm not knocking the system.....just trying to help.

Krazy

Ottoman,

Here are my recommendations:

CPU:AMD athlon xp (I use it with no problems)

IMHO don't waste your money on intel.

MOBO:asus a7v8x with usb 2.0 firewire and raid built in. has 333 frontside bus etc got a great reveiw at tomshardware.com

Mem:Crucial or Kingston 2x512MB ddr 333 or 400

HD:Western Digital Rocks but you'll need 2 or more to utilize the raid.

Vid:MSI geforce 4 ti 4600 is a great choice.

If you want fog, avoid any non geforce vid cards.

CDRW:lite on makes a great 48x unit thats on sale right now at Newegg.com for 64 bucks shipped.

DVD:your choice again newegg has those for 42 dollars shipped.

Sound:6 channel sound built into mobo.

I don't work for newegg.com. It's just that I have ordered a couple of thousand dollars worth of parts from them and I have always got what I ordered and everything worked out of the box.(not to mention the great pricing.

This setup should last at least two or more years. Also, Antec or Cheiftec make the best cases.

Hope this helps

Bodman

Ottoman,

Before I forget. Logitech's THX certified Z560 4.1 surround sound system is the best speakers for the money, around $150. I would also recommend Win xp instead of 2000. It is much more compatible for gaming. I use Win xp pro myself.

Email me if you want any more hardware suggestions.

Bodman

Hey,

Where do you guys buy all this stuff?

I have been browsing around looking for a new computer for my home for several months -- primarily at Dell.com. I don't have any skill with computers so I need to buy something and have it work after taking it out of the box and hooking several wires together.

I can buy a fairly beefy system from Dell (2.5 GHz, lots of RAM, big hard-drive, fancy graphics card, nice 18" Flat Panel) for about $1,200. Having something that works (and plays CMBB w/ fog) is more important to me than saving a few hundred bucks.

Any suggestions? Thanks much in advance.

Originally posted by ottoman:

Thanks for the video card update. How about this video card?

MSI G4Ti4600 GForce-4 (MSI-8872) w/128Mb DDR

I have the Creative GeForce 4 TI4600. I always find it hard to make comparisons between these things, but the smoke and general effects in MoH with it are breathtaking. smile.gif

I'd go for an Intel processor, simply because money isn't an issue.

Originally posted by James Bailey:

Hey,

I have been browsing around looking for a new computer for my home for several months -- primarily at Dell.com. I don't have any skill with computers so I need to buy something and have it work after taking it out of the box and hooking several wires together.

I can buy a fairly beefy system from Dell (2.5 GHz, lots of RAM, big hard-drive, fancy graphics card, nice 18" Flat Panel) for about $1,200. Having something that works (and plays CMBB w/ fog) is more important to me than saving a few hundred bucks.

Give me a call sometime, we can discuss details over beers or somesuch.

If you have the cash, and dont care about upgrading aside from replacement of the entirey system, Dell etc will work fine.

I actually bought one of the above mention Asus A7V8X motherboards recently and I am quite happy with the thing. Lots of upward potential (aformentioned features plus Serial ATA, firewire, gigabit ethernet). I avoid WD hard drives like the plague, that might be residual from having 25/80 go bad on me at work here in 18 months.

WWB

I have a very similar system, same mobo, 512 mb of fast RAMBUS ram, 2 80 gig WD 8mb cache HD's striping RAID to a Promise controller; major differences, I'm using a GEForce 4200/128mb card for video and have a 2.53 mhz P4.

The thing rocks and is rock solid (always a nice combination, when you can get it). CMBB, even large scenarios, load fast and play flawlessly. AI think times are quite low, even on big scenarios. This one is a keeper!

I had it built locally to my specs, I usually build my own but this saved me a lot of time fussing and burning-in. Also has DVD and CD-RW drives and a heap of cooling fans. Runs Win XP Pro. Cost: around $1600.

:D:D

Originally posted by James Bailey:

Hey,

All my PC systems have been custom built. Done properly a new system should be upgradable for the next 2 yrs, 3 yrs would be stretching it, at least compared to the pace technology has changed these last 5 yrs.

Find yourself a local reputable shop, research for your own requirements(this board has some tremendous systems for example) and shop 'em hard.

Then you'll have a great system with local support.

Krazy

PS:I should add that I'm close to PC illerate and have had great success with my custom builds!