Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Moving through smoke cause an Unhandled Exception in CMBO

Dear mates,

I have a small but anoying problem with CMBO: When I move through smoke in view level 3, my screen sometimes freeze, and when I use ctrl+alt+del to get to the desktop there is an error message saying "Unhandled exception c0000005 at adress 3f800000".

The problem only happens at view level 3, and only with high quality smoke. I am able to replicate this error whenever I want, by loading a scenario with smoke, shift to view level 3, and move back and forth 5-10 times through the smoke. This will always provoke the smoke freeze.

Apart from this strange smoke freeze, CMBO is solid as a rock - I have never had any other types of crashes.

My set up (with all the latest BIOS/drivers):

ECS K7S6A board

Athlon XP 2100+

1024 MB ram

GeForce4 Ti4400

SoundBlaster Live 5.1

Windows XP Home

Initially I thought this was a NVidia driver problem, but I can provoke the error message with 30.82 as well as 29.42.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this small but quite anoying problem?

Best regards

Mr. Die Easy

I haven't seen this problem myself, so I really don't have a specific solution for you. The initial part of the address range you have given for the error we usually associate with DirectX, but that can mean the video driver too.

I suggest uninstalling your current video driver and using a 'VGA Save' or SVGA driver. After rebooting then install your NVidia driver.

I'm not sure what BIOS version you have or if it even makes a difference, but the K7S6A is at 1.0d. What you may really need is the updated chipset driver for the SiS 745 (agp110.exe). I've seen some slightly newer SiS AGP drivers, but I can't remember where to get them.