Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Video Off Center

<Originally posted in a different forum -- Didn't see this one. Sorry>

Hello All: I just downloaded the Demo. I played to turn 9 in a demo game then when I came back the entire game is shifted about six inches to the right where I lose the whole right hand side of the game. Restarted the machine and the display is still bled off the right side. All other programs are still good. I've got a Dell 20" monitor. It was great playing until I left and tried to come back. Also I tried to adjust the display back in by manually recentering the monitor...No good. Any Ideas?? Thanks! Joe

This is a bit strange to have the game change the centering of the display in the middle of playing it. Are you saying that the screen doesn't shift at all using the monitor controls while playing CM or that it doesn't shift enough to bring it fully back to center ?

What resolution and vertical refresh rate do you normally run your desktop (i.e. - 1024x768 @ 75Hz, etc.) ? Do you know what resolution you selected for CM when you first launched it (i.e. - 800x600 @ 85Hz, etc.) ?

Typically, for ease of monitor configuration, you want to run CM at the same resolution and vertical refresh rate as you do for your desktop. When you wouldn't want to do this is when you're running a very high desktop resolution that may severely tax your videocard when playing a 3D game like CM.

Basically I would only imagine that when you initially ran CM that it would set the screen off center (or whenever you last selected a resolution for CM). Having the screen shift to the side while playing the game suggest either a problem with the videocard or the monitor at that particular resolution. It's possible that your monitor's setting for 800x600 has been set to some sort of default that would shift the screen over with the current video signal timing coming from your videocard.

You may want to 'reset' your monitor's settings back to the factory default (if that option is offered, which it usually is). You will now have to reconfigure your monitor to get it to display as you would like it to, but before doing that try out CM and see if it is very far off from center now.

Which videocard do you have and have you adjusted any settings in a control panel, etc. ?

Do you have an LCD monitor?

Just from my own experience: I have an 17" monitor and when I run CMAK with more than 60 Hz the screen is shifted to the left. Only with 60Hz it's in the middle. Although it's strange that it was ok a while at the beginning of your game....Anyway I recommend to choose a video setting with the lowest frequency (60 Hz or so). As already mentioned you have to delete the preference file to be able to choose the video setting.