for Bill: Location of Galician fortress - P and L

Every WW1 game and book map I've ever seen does not have Przemysl and Lemberg nestled closely up against mountains on three sides like your scenario has, but rather a bit out on the A-H Galician plains (especially Lemberg), which itself seems a bit narrow. Perhaps the mountain ranges are a bit too "thick" and could be trimmed back and maybe Lemberg place out tile further out. what do you think?

You are certainly correct in pointing out that neither of these fortresses are actually in the Carpathians, but their positioning serves to guard their relevant passes from Russian advances into Hungary.

Thus they make good targets for the Russians to attack, and for Austria-Hungary to defend, and while some of the mountains could be changed to hills, doing so would make it very easy for Russia to bypass them.

Well, they were bypassed historically, esp. P, which was besieged for months. That was part of their vulnerability. I'm not really for massively altering geography to create artificial barriers. The passes themselves will be narrow defensible bottlenecks regardless of the fortresses. That is part of the give and take of Galicia. Either you expose yourself on the plains to defends the forts and cities or you abandon them and attempt to hold the passes. You can't have both. A-H undertook a massive winter offensive just to relieve P. I know it is a designer's concession but placing fortified corks in the neck of the bottle, so to speak, kind of ruins the historical dynamic of the Carpathian Campaigns, IMO. The forts and cities need to be fought over in the plains.