Determining system bottlenecks

I’d like to figure out what is the most limiting aspect of my computer system and was wondering if the System Monitor application (usually found under Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools) would be of any use. Would running that application while playing CM provide any useful information? If so, what would be the optimum way to set it up?

Thanks,

Ace

An ol'trick : bottleneck is either in the graphics or in the processor and memory.

To determine which is applying, just try running CM in several res : 640*480, 800*600, 1024*768, etc...

If there is much difference in framerate at one point, it is that the graphics are straining the system. If you don't see much difference then it is your comp'proc and memory.

To help determine if your're short on memory watch your HD : whenever it is running when playing CM during turns, it's because you're out of RAM and Windows has to swap memory on disk.

Lastly sound can be an issue, mostly ambien (continuous) sounds : turn them off and looks what happens.

Kind souls helpled me yesterday finding a tool to see fps when playing : FRAPS freeware, at www.fraps.com

Hope it helps ;)