British forces in the battle for Athens, December '44

tooz

Guys, this forum is often the best place for me to seek out links and info on obscure history. I am currently researching the British forces in Athens in 1944. I know the KRRC, 4 Indian Divison and later the regular 4th Infantry Division were deployed but what armor did the Brits

have when they defended Constitution Square against heavy attacks by ELAS in December 1944?

ANYTHING will be greatly appreciated.

And Wiki has even more:

In August 1944 the brigade was redesignated as Force 140, later Arkforce, and dismounted from its tanks. 40th and 50th RTR were retrained as infantry, but 46th RTR was reorganized with one squadron of armoured cars and one squadron of infantry, this being attached to 50th RTR, but kept one squadron of Shermans. It arrived at Piraeus on 12 October 1944 as part of the peacekeeping force keeping order in Greece when the Germans withdrew. The brigade remained in Greece until the end of the war, having been restored to their tanks in by the end of January 1945.

Thanks Aftentiiten! i just ordered the book: "General Scobie, hero of Athens..." and will glean what I can from that piece.

To me this action is definitely WWII esoterica as troops needed elsewhere were sent to a theater to fight a former ally. Amazing, while troops are fighting in the Bulge this was going on in Greece. Sad but interesting...

Amazing, while troops are fighting in the Bulge this was going on in Greece. Sad but interesting...

Amazing in some ways, but remember that Churchill was obsessed with Greece and the Balkans. He knew that Britain would never end up running France and Belgium, but he still nursed hopes (especially at this point prior to Yalta) that some vestige of Empire could be salvaged in the Eastern Med.

As for armour, think Humber. Armoured cars were ever the British favourite against unruly mobs.

...remember that Churchill was obsessed with Greece and the Balkans. He knew that Britain would never end up running France and Belgium, but he still nursed hopes (especially at this point prior to Yalta) that some vestige of Empire could be salvaged in the Eastern Med.

I don't think that he so much saw the Balkans as part of the Empire as a group of small nations in a strategically important part of the world becoming friendly neutrals a la Benelux. He had a dream of a Danubian Confederacy consisting of Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Rumania and perhaps others banded together for trade and mutual protection. Stalin quickly put an end to that dream though.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...