Any tips on how I should play CMSF?

HintJ

I've been playing a good bit of CMSF lately. I discovering ways to increase my enjoyment. My point here is to ask if anyone else has personal techniques for further enjoying the game.

How I like to play currently:

I play in realtime w/the game paused maybe 95% or more of the time.

I use a gamepad (yes, like an Playstation) w/a free version of Xpadder to reprogram the interface. I do this to limit my control of the game, like in *Iron Man* rules. For example, Except when setting up, I play nearest to the ground view as possible, and while the game is rolling, my point of view is fixed (tabbed) to the last unit I selected, and I cannot give orders, I can only look around and zoom.

If I want to give orders, I must pause the game. Then I have free range with the camera and menus, but since I use "Iron" difficulty, if I want to select a unit, I must click thru a series of units w/contact, starting w/a command unit. If I accidentally deselect (and thus revealing too much info on unit locations), I quickly hit a hotkeyed F12 (select last unit) so I don't get much of a chance to look around.

I keep a notepad listing all my units, by name, to keep up with them and remember what is going on. While paused, I like looking around from each unit's point of view. It's like reading a book. I must admit, I love the C2 and relative spotting.

Maybe someone has a suggestion that would increase my enjoyment more?