Has anyone played this game from behind a Linksys router

Yes, it is. Give me a break it's been at least two days since I looked at it redface.gif

About what I suspected. I guess I can live with that. I won't even be installing it until I need it for connecting my notebook up too.

------------------

Two Rules to Live By:

1. Never Get Out of the Boat.

2. Charlie Doesn't Surf.

[This message has been edited by General Panic (edited 12-18-2000).]

Actually...

If you have a linksys dsl/cable router you can host combat mission games and any other game for the internet.

Its pretty simple...

First...you will need to configure your router which I suspect you have already done. Basicaly what you need to do is access your router's control panel, which is accessable through your internet browser. This is very simple now; I will tell you how to do this:

type in: http://192.168.1.1 in you web browser. Click the "advanced" tab on the upper right. Then click the "dmz host" tab. Ok now its gets a little tricky biggrin.gif find out what IP the router has assigned the computer you want to host CM on. This should be accessible by seeing your tcp/ip panel. It should look something like 192.168.1.1xx or somthing like that usually 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101...and so on. this just depends on how many computers are hooked up to your router. Anyway. Now once you know the IP THAT YOUR ROUTER HAS ASSIGNED YOU. THIS IS IMPORTANT. MAKE SURE IT IS. Then all you have to do is type in the last three digits of you IP...in the area to type it. It should look like this: 192.168.1. with a blank add the last three digits (100, 101, 102, 103...)

Ok...now...what you have just done is you have eliminated the FIREWALL from the computer that you are now going to host CM games. This is not too big of a deal. It is just for the one computer and does not affect you other computers on the network.

Ok...last step...and this is easy too... when hosting a game anygame on the ineternet with your router, you need to supply your opponent with your IP so he or she can join you...what you need to do is give him or her your real IP not the one from your router. So use this to determine your real IP and give this to your opponent for them to use to connect yo your cpu :

http://www.babygrrl.com/ip.shtml

Remember: DO NOT USE 192.168.1.xxx as your IP. Even though its may say this in your cpu's control panel. Use the one at the link.

Ahhh...Do I get a Medal for this???

Actually they do know about it, and there is a way to get it to work without disabling the firewall. Port forward from 7022-7024 for each pc using static or dhcp addresses and you can host and have the firewall up at the same time.

Rune

I've been using the Linksys, and the DMZ host works just as described by Panther. One thing I do that most people seem to avoid is that I have assigned the internal IPs to my 3 pcs manually. I've heard that the dynamic assigment of DHCP sometimes causes problems.

The Linksys "Status" tab is another source for the IP address assigned by your ISP to the router. This is labeled the 'WAN' IP address, and is the one you give to opponents.

I'm also using Black Ice Defender firewall software. It works well with all my online games. For CM, you can crank the protection level to the highest setting, then put your opponent's IP into a 'trusted sites' list. Of course, you have to get their IP address even if you're hosting.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by GeoffP (edited 12-18-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

IIRC, nothing was said about a work around for a router in the beta readme file.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the latest README "How to Guide.txt":

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Cable/DSL Router Configuration: If you use a home broadband router like the LinkSys Cable/DSL 4 port Router and wish to host games you will need to add TCP port 7023 to the routers forwarding table. You then need to match port 7023 to the internal IP address of the computer that you want to host the game with. Then use the routers control panel (usually accessed via your browser) to get the external IP address given out by your ISP. Give this external IP address to your opponent and he should be able to connect with you hosting. Please visit the Battlefront.com Discussion Forums for the latest info on such issues.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again, BTS is on top of things, and one can 'feel their pain' when others don't RTFM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

aaronb: perhaps you should put a : ) at the end of your sentance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be right - ever since Peng, I am reluctant to use the things.

I did not mean to sound chiding.

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, I can't try this yet because I don't have my cable modem working until Friday and probably won't spring for the router until this Friday and won't even spring for the router until then. I'm still trying to decide whether I really need it.

------------------

Two Rules to Live By:

1. Never Get Out of the Boat.

2. Charlie Doesn't Surf.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General Panic:

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, I can't try this yet because I don't have my cable modem working until Friday

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure you run some kind of software like Black Ice regardless of what you do. You're pc is wide open without it. Every game that I have tried online has run fine even when you leave minimal protection enabled.