CD obligatory ?

Unless you've got a Mac.

Then you can image the CD to your hard drive and play with that mounted. Can't stand the wait as the CD spins up/down for some things, so I do this with all my games. Also means I don't have to go digging for the CDs all the time (a significant problem given my lack of organization).

--Bill

PCs can use a program like Nortons Virtual drive. You can do a minimal install then to save disk space because the virtual drive will copy the whole CDROM onto the hard drive. The game will look to the "CDROM" at Hard drive speed.

I think that copy protection like this is useless. Companies have to come up with some better schemes than this.

Lewis

Guest Imperator

Haven't tried this with CM yet, but it works with many other games:

Copy the CD to the root of an SMB share (remote NT/9x/Samba or local, it doesn't matter). Map that share to a drive letter, then run the installer from there. You only need to do a minimum install, of course. Beware that if it's a remote share, your performance will suffer unless you have a fast network. (I have 100T at home and it's fine.)

>>Unless you've got a Mac.

Then you can image the CD to your hard drive and play with that mounted. Can't stand the wait as the CD spins up/down for some things, so I do this with all my games. Also means I don't have to go digging for the CDs all the time (a significant problem given my lack of organization).

-------------------------------------

I tried that with CM. Didn't work. It's a pity, because it's so much more convenient.

Guest Michael emrys

There's another workaround that Major Holdridge tipped me to. This works on a Mac, dunno if it works on a PC, but can't think why it wouldn't. After the game has started up (I wait until I have a scenario going), press ESC to get to the desktop and then eject the CD. Game runs fine.

I know, I know, you still have to hassle with the CD to get going, but this solved one problem for me, which was that the game kept mysteriously hesitating periodically while my computer interrogated the CD for some strange reason. It's something to do with my system and not just CM. BTW, I have the full install, so there is nothing on the CD that the program needs in order to run.

I just pass this along for you connoisseurs of peculiar computer behavior.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 07-07-2000).]