Map editor elevations?

You guys weren't kidding when you said this is not the same as CMx1. I can't figure this thing out for the life of me. If I want to make a small hill, the best I can do is draw a big circle of lets say elevation 20 in black to keep from changing the elevation outside the circle and then I can make a retarded looking hill within the circle by changing a plot within the center to a much higher elevation. This can't be the right way. When I attempt this without drawing a circle, the whole map changes in elevation, and it looks unforgivably retarded with all kinds of elevation lines forking all over the place and it's just a mess. Is there a video somewhere explaining how to correctly work the elevation editor? Seriously, I FAIL. :(

Think of the elevations you draw as contour lines.

Try this instead, go round the whole edge of the map and mark it with 20 elevations. Then Mark the top of the hill you want to make, take a look how it looks. If you want certain bits steeper put 20 elevation tiles closer to it. Try just experimenting with it for a while, you should get the hang of it.

It would be a good idea for you to look at completed scen/QB maps in the editor. Click on elevation and zoom out to maximum. You will see distinct contours and otherwise see just what other map designers are doing. And you should know the more locked elevation you use the slower the map will load. As you become experienced you'll find it a very natural method of map design. And one more thing: Now is the time to practice...when CM-N hits you'll really want to make maps... beautifully detailed maps!

It would be a good idea for you to look at completed scen/QB maps in the editor. Click on elevation and zoom out to maximum. You will see distinct contours and otherwise see just what other map designers are doing. And you should know the more locked elevation you use the slower the map will load. As you become experienced you'll find it a very natural method of map design.

I concur with Mark, on all points. "Direct" is essentially the only elevation command I use, and I use it to draw contour lines. Opening other folks work in the editor is an excellent training tool.

With practice you'll find you only need to place a 'black spot' contour point every 4-5 squares on reasonably gentle slopes. The resulting slope will look more natural than a continuous wall of black spots, and will load faster too. As the slope gets steeper you'll probably need to place the black spots closer together.

One trick I figured out a while ago: if you want to create a re-entrant running up the side of a hill, first create the gross contours as usual. Then, create a line of black spots crossing the contours perpendicularly that traces the bed of the stream. You'll need to increment the streambed elevation fairly regularly, keeping it 1-2m below the elevation of each contour as it crosses it.