Jump to content

?? Questions about Combat


geecadwah
 Share

Recommended Posts

First off thanks for allowing the Community to extensively edit and modify the Program/Game, that's a real nice touch and hopefully it will build a large and loyal following that ultimately lead to more and more sales of EOS and future titles. I like EOS and I think it fills a strategy game void by being a more balanced and playable strategy game like Risk with somewhat more Micro-Management options and decisions but not so much Micro-Management that it really bogs down and stagnates. Here's a couple of Questions about combat using the Official Rules 1900 - 2030 (atomicboy).

1.) Does the Combat Randomness default of .50 (in Global Values) mean that 50% of the (100 tics) are Static and 50% of the (100 tics ) are Random so in your example ie ... Using these numbers, we can see that, on average, the infantry will hit the tank an average of 1.6 times each turn. The Infantry will hit the Tank .8 (1.6 x .01) times for sure and the other .8 is a 50/50% random chance so on average an Infantry in the example will "hit" a Tank 1.2 times per turn or does it mean something else?

2.) Does each unit battle each and every unit against it in a turn and is the battle simultaneous or is there a battle protocal? For example if there are ( 2 ) Infantry and ( 1 ) Tank battling ( 2 ) Infantry, ( 3 ) Tanks and ( 2 ) Artillery will the ( 2 ) Infantry get to and ( 1 ) Tank get to shoot at all ( 7 ) of the enemy units each turn it's still alive and/or is there a defined sequence to who targets whom?

Thanks for the Great Game and for the reply (in advance).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off thanks for allowing the Community to extensively edit and modify the Program/Game, that's a real nice touch and hopefully it will build a large and loyal following that ultimately lead to more and more sales of EOS and future titles. I like EOS and I think it fills a strategy game void by being a more balanced and playable strategy game like Risk with somewhat more Micro-Management options and decisions but not so much Micro-Management that it really bogs down and stagnates. Here's a couple of Questions about combat using the Official Rules 1900 - 2030 (atomicboy).

Thanks.

1.) Does the Combat Randomness default of .50 (in Global Values) mean that 50% of the (100 tics) are Static and 50% of the (100 tics ) are Random so in your example ie ... Using these numbers, we can see that, on average, the infantry will hit the tank an average of 1.6 times each turn. The Infantry will hit the Tank .8 (1.6 x .01) times for sure and the other .8 is a 50/50% random chance so on average an Infantry in the example will "hit" a Tank 1.2 times per turn or does it mean something else?

The randomness value is used to adjust how variable the results of combat are. For example, if you have two battleships against each other and you use a low combat randomness, what will happen is that one battleship will be sunk (taking 8 damage), and the other battleship will end up nearly sunk (taking 6 or 7 damage). If you use higher randomness, then the surviving battleship will take a more variable number of hits (maybe it will take between 4 and 7 hits). So, low randomness means that, even if you lose a battle, you can expect to do a particular amount of damage to the enemy before you go down. High randomness means you'll have a harder time predicting how much damage you'll do. Another example would be if you have two mismatched ships - say a destroyer vs a cruiser. Cruisers are more powerful ships. Under low combat randomness, the cruiser will win (say) 99% of the time, and will take 2 or 3 damage from the destroyer. Under high combat randomness, the cruiser will win 70% of the time (and be sunk the other 30% of the time), and the winner of the combat might take anywhere from 0 damage to nearly-sunk. In short, high randomness makes it much harder to predict the outcome from a battle.

2.) Does each unit battle each and every unit against it in a turn and is the battle simultaneous or is there a battle protocal? For example if there are ( 2 ) Infantry and ( 1 ) Tank battling ( 2 ) Infantry, ( 3 ) Tanks and ( 2 ) Artillery will the ( 2 ) Infantry get to and ( 1 ) Tank get to shoot at all ( 7 ) of the enemy units each turn it's still alive and/or is there a defined sequence to who targets whom?

The combat system is setup so that units randomly target enemy units in the group. But, combat is handled 100 times each turn, so units kind of distribute their attacks against all the enemy units. For example, if a tank attacks an infantry and an artillery, then his 100 attacks (each turn) get distributed as roughly 50 attacks against the infantry and 50 attacks against the artillery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...