Keeping Canada out of the war

Ok lads, I need some help here.

In our current game of the '39 scenario, my opponent has kept Canada out of the war, and I still don't know how he did it.

Poland surrendered on turn 1, and Benelux on turn 2. France then nosedived, and surrendered on turn 4. Canada is now at 0% and they're busy playing ice hockey while the world burns. Needless to say, the game is as good as over.

My mate said Canada will stay out if Poland and Benelux fall in the first two turns, but I can't find any scripts to that end. I've replayed the opening several times against the AI, but I'm still at a loss to see how it's done.

Any ideas?

I tried to reproduce the result by capturing Poland and the Benelux on turn 2, but Canada joined anyway. So I doubt this has anything to do with it. What happened most likely is that you got unlucky. Canada has a 50% chance of joining each turn, but will only join if France hasn't surrendered yet. So there is indeed a small chance that Canada doesn't join until the fourth turn, if France surrenders then, Canada won't join anymore.