Subs not reducing English ports!

Playing with the first patch. I have jammed the sea between England and Ireland with subs (subs on all shipping squares), and I get a message along the lines of "german subs interfere with British shipping" yet both western ports remain at 10! I was hoping to shut down all convoys, but was unable to affect the ports!

I think that only the cities in England can be damaged by blocking the ports. This is the case for many different ports around the world, such as those in India for example. So it doesn't have anything to do with that you used subs, its just impossible to reduce the harbors by blocking them.

Well I played another couple of turns, all of a sudden, the two ports (the one taking in convoys, and the one sending stuff to Russia) dropped to 5! They're still sending and receiving convoys, but maybe the reductions happens on a batch basis ie you have to blockade for 5 turns to get a 5 point drop?

I may be wrong, but from my experiences, I don't believe subs reduce port numbers....subs reduce, per turn, a random # of supply carried on the nearest convoy route to and from a port.

They do if they are parked on the little ship symbols outside the port and not just on the convoy line.

No, that happens because a city near the port was reduced to an efficiency below 5. This cut off the railway connection as that only passes through cities with efficiency 5 or higher. Since the port was no longer connected to the capital, its efficiency dropped.

No, that happens because a city near the port was reduced to an efficiency below 5. This cut off the railway connection as that only passes through cities with efficiency 5 or higher. Since the port was no longer connected to the capital, its efficiency dropped.

Ok, so I guess blockading the ports eventually reduced the city to below five which in turn reduced the port to 5?

So if I keep the subs parked there the city will eventually be reduced to zero, taking the port anlong with it?

I remember stopping the india convoy in india by blockading the Indian port. I *though* it was reduced by 1 each turn, but I could be mistaken.

Yes, blockading the city until it was reduced below 5 took the port with it. It won't be reduced to zero though as a port that is not connected to the capital always has a supply of 5. So the only way of reducing it further is by attacking it with surface ships or airplanes.

You might be right about India, I am not 100% sure on this either. But it is certainly true that some ports, such as the one is South Africa, can be reduced below 5 by blocking them. At other places the city or mine close to the blocking point is reduced in strength, rather than the port.