Bug report and questions.

StellarRat

BUG: The airfield radar does not have a radar circle. I added one in the unit editor for fun. Made it just like the city radar. 150 for radar visible and 40 for subs. Seems to fix the problem.

POSSIBLE BUG: How does the viewing range vs. firing range work for units? I have a special forces unit that has the global sighting range set to 0.0 (just like a sub) for some reason they are found and fired on by artillery and missile units even though I'm pretty sure they are not within viewing range. I made sure that they were not radar visible and set the view range for their tag to 0.0 on cities, radar stations and anything else I could find that didn't have a default view of 0.0. Didn't seem to make any difference.

SUGGESTION: It would cut down on the management of patrol units if they returned to their old patrol routes after they sat at a base or airfield to repair. Also, if there was an order/button that made unit just sit at the base and repair automatically whenever they were damaged on patrol then continue their old patrol routes when repairs are complete that would save me a lot of clicking.

QUESTION: Is there any combat advantage to grouping your units together when you attack? Or does the computer just treat the stack like a bunch of individual unit attacks and defenses? Seems to me that a group should at least get to make all their attacks each round before the defender gets to counterattack again.

Great thread, so Brit doesn't have the same bug sent to him 20 times via the game "Bug Report" feature.

1) During game playbacks, all resource total values are frozen on the "resource bar", and never update as the game progresses.

2) During game playbacks, view as "God's Eye View" is broken.

3) During game playbacks, transports sometimes disappear, showing only their contents. Pretty interesting to see a tank move across the water like that. ;)

4) During game playbacks, city contents are many times incorrect on the "unit bar", showing "phantom" units - and sometimes cities show invalid ownership (i.e., a city may be enemy occupied, but will show as captured on the "unit bar", and even show friendly units within). I have examples, if needed.

5) During game playbacks, clicking on a city shows an incorrect total population on the "unit bar".

I'm pretty sure these are all the errors during game playback.

As an aside - is anyone else experiencing unrequested satellite launches? I've had that happen to me several times (over several releases) where a group of satellites will simply decide to launch.

BUG: The airfield radar does not have a radar circle. I added one in the unit editor for fun. Made it just like the city radar. 150 for radar visible and 40 for subs. Seems to fix the problem.

You're right. This is fixed in the next update.

POSSIBLE BUG: How does the viewing range vs. firing range work for units? I have a special forces unit that has the global sighting range set to 0.0 (just like a sub) for some reason they are found and fired on by artillery and missile units even though I'm pretty sure they are not within viewing range. I made sure that they were not radar visible and set the view range for their tag to 0.0 on cities, radar stations and anything else I could find that didn't have a default view of 0.0. Didn't seem to make any difference.

That actually sounds more like an issue with the AI attacking units it can't see. It would probably work differently with a person on the other end.

SUGGESTION: It would cut down on the management of patrol units if they returned to their old patrol routes after they sat at a base or airfield to repair. Also, if there was an order/button that made unit just sit at the base and repair automatically whenever they were damaged on patrol then continue their old patrol routes when repairs are complete that would save me a lot of clicking.

Sounds reasonable.

QUESTION: Is there any combat advantage to grouping your units together when you attack? Or does the computer just treat the stack like a bunch of individual unit attacks and defenses? Seems to me that a group should at least get to make all their attacks each round before the defender gets to counterattack again.

No, grouping units doesn't give an advantage.

Great thread, so Brit doesn't have the same bug sent to him 20 times via the game "Bug Report" feature.

1) During game playbacks, all resource total values are frozen on the "resource bar", and never update as the game progresses.

2) During game playbacks, view as "God's Eye View" is broken.

3) During game playbacks, transports sometimes disappear, showing only their contents. Pretty interesting to see a tank move across the water like that. ;)

4) During game playbacks, city contents are many times incorrect on the "unit bar", showing "phantom" units - and sometimes cities show invalid ownership (i.e., a city may be enemy occupied, but will show as captured on the "unit bar", and even show friendly units within). I have examples, if needed.

5) During game playbacks, clicking on a city shows an incorrect total population on the "unit bar".

I'm pretty sure these are all the errors during game playback.

What's going on in cases #1 and #5 is that I'm not remembering these events as game-events. As a result, they aren't in the turn-replay, although, it would be useful to add them to the game-event system.

As far as #2 "God's eye view" - I recently fixed a bug with the god's eye view that happens if you load an old (finished) game. (The fix isn't available until the next update.) Is the issue you're seeing related to loading a game that is already done, or are you ending a game and you're still unable to switch over to god's eye view?

"3) During game playbacks, transports sometimes disappear, showing only their contents." This is happening with the latest build? Do you have any saved games where this can be reproduced? I'd like to take a look at them.

I'm not sure what's going on with issue #4. Although, the unit bar doesn't necessarily get redrawn continuously, so it might be showing old information. Again, if you have any saved games where this happens, I'd like to take a look.

By the way, I'll put an email address into your private messages if you want to send any files to me. (I'd post the email on the forums, but bots might harvest it.) [uPDATE: Nevermind - I couldn't send you a private message for some reason. I think you might have the email address from sending a bug report earlier, though.]

As an aside - is anyone else experiencing unrequested satellite launches? I've had that happen to me several times (over several releases) where a group of satellites will simply decide to launch.

Someone mentioned a problem with satellite launches a while ago, and I just got a bug-report yesterday about the same issue. I tracked this down and verified it. What's going on is that the field-orders of the attack satellites is set to "default (aggressive)". As a result, they'll auto-attack (which means auto-launching) when enemies are near. This is fine for most units, but attack satellites shouldn't auto-attack. I've changed this now, and the fix will be in the next update.

Thanks for fixing the radar.

Why would the AI be programmed to attack units that aren't visible? It would be cheating then right?

Shouldn't a group attack be more dangerous then one on one assuming all other things are equal? Since the units fight to the death in most cases having a numerical advantage should confer an better chance win. At least that's what they taught us in ROTC. :)

Hey Brit -

Thanks for the quick reply!

Regarding #1 - the additions (+) and subtractions (-) are actually updating - but just not the totals. That's slick, in that it sounds like most of the code and data are already in place.

Regarding #5 - now that's a weird duck, in that the cities are showing just bizarre population totals. One might be 44 (that should be 19) and one might be 5 (that should be 12). Tried to find any commonality to help, but I don't see anything consistent. It's pulling the numbers somewhere, but I have no idea of the location.

Regarding #2 - I only view finished games, so that sounds like it's going to be fixed in the next release. I'm not sure what "old" means though - so to clarify, "God View" hasn't worked in games completed as recently as this morning, using the most current software release.

Regarding #3 - Yep, sorry to say, but as of the most current release, I was getting that in a game earlier today. No more invisible units, though!

Regarding #4 - No sweat. I can zip and bounce a saved game over (I'll note a good location to view and take some snaps as well). I do have the e-mail addy, so no worries there. Pretty sure it's not a redraw or refresh though, as what I'm seeing in the unit bar appears to be the future state of the city, and not the past.

Finally, thanks much for the satellite fix (and explanation on why it was happening). Thought I was losing my mind on that one.

I'll shoot the e-mail later this afternoon, and feel free to reply e-mail if you have any questions.

Thanks Brit!

I fixed this one today. What was going on here is that the city was showing the final production (not population) value. (For example, if a city had a factory, it's production value would be higher than its population.)

I fixed this one today. What was going on here is that the city was showing the final production (not population) value. (For example, if a city had a factory, it's production value would be higher than its population.)

Ah, okay - easy fix then (once tracked down).

I did finally get my act together and sent an e-mail with screenshots of the timing problem with the units & city ownership in the unit bar <> the actual game play. I'm hopeful you got it - but if not, just give me a shout and I'll send again. It was a pretty small zip, so hopefully it didn't corrupt (as happened on another send).

Brit: are you going to take a look at the second issue on my list? Where units that should be invisible are fired on by the AI?

Yeah, I do want to fix that. It won't be in the next update. Also, I've been getting a lot of bug reports and suggestions over the past few weeks. Most of them are coming in via email (rather than the forums), so I've got my hands full.

Yeah, I do want to fix that. It won't be in the next update. Also, I've been getting a lot of bug reports and suggestions over the past few weeks. Most of them are coming in via email (rather than the forums), so I've got my hands full.

Great. I just wanted to make sure it was on the list somewhere. Thanks!