AT-14 and enemy infantry

It seems like the AI is very eager to use AT-14 missiles against infantry. Doesn't this seem like a waste of an expensive missile in an attempt to knock a couple of infantrymen? Does Soviet/Syrian doctrine call for the use of AT missiles against infantry in the open?

• 2 weeks later...
LukeFF

Don't worry. I've already brought this one up on the Beta boards so we'll see what happens.

While we're at it, has the problem of a unit firing off multiple rockets at the exact same time been brought up? Just the other day I had a three man HQ unit fire all three of their AT-14s at the exact same time at an enemy tank.

Here is some information on the AT-14. It addresses the use against troops and discusses the simultaneous use of two rockets for vehicle mounted AT-14's.

From wikipedia -

The guidance system ensures protection against electronic countermeasures and operation in all climatic conditions, day or night. Each missile carries a tandem HEAT with a reported penetration of 1000-1200 mm RHA behind explosive reactive armour (ERA)[5], alternatively a thermobaric warhead can be carried to engage soft-skinned targets, fortifications and manpower[3].

From CMSF Manual pg. 201

The Kornet-E is the most current and capable ATGM threat faced by Western forces......The tandem HEAT warhead has nearly three times the penetration power of the early AT-3 systems, AT-4, and AT-5 systems and 50% more punch than the AT-13. It can also fire a powerful thermobaric missile against soft targets.

From army-technology.com

The Kornet anti-tank guided weapon system is mounted on a cross-country, armoured chassis based on the BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicle which entered production in the late 1980s and is in service with the Russian Army. BMP-3 is a tracked, armoured, amphibious vehicle. It has a 500hp diesel engine, weighs 18.7t and is capable of a maximum speed of 70km/hr and range of 600km. The vehicle is equipped with night vision devices.

The self-propelled Kornet missile system has the capability for automatic loading and the simultaneous launching of two missiles at a single target. 16 missiles can be carried. It has a crew of two.

Oh it's definitely used in real life against infantry targets. No question about that. However, I doubt it would be used quite so enthusiastically by those same crews against infantry targets were they expecting to face enemy armour. So my suggestion was this:

In the game we have several Fire Orders that we can issue AI groups with. the three we're concerned with are CAUTIOUS, NORMAL and ACTIVE. At the moment it doesn't seem to matter very much which order you give the AI group, they will fire those AT-14s at infantry targets regardless.

I would like to see the settings tweaked so that we have the following:

ACTIVE.......the situation we have in the game at the moment. The status quo, no change

NORMAL......the AI will take less shots against enemy infantry than they would with the above setting

CAUTIOUS...the AI will reserve these weapons to fire against vehicular targets and will only fire at infantry once they get too close. (I don't actually care about the 'too close' condition.)

This would allow the scenario designer to decide just how willing the AI side was going to be when setting up his AI plans. Note that those who want to keep everything the way it is just now can. They don't lose anything. Whereas those of us who want the AI to retain them for use against AFVs can set them to do so as well. Everybody's happy.