An interesting observation

Well for me anyway. :)

For those of you who have been following the (so far) neverending saga of my struggle to get CM to run something new has been added. I got it in my head to download the latest CM demo and try to play that. Well I've just come from playing 5 turns with no sign of lockup. Now for most of you 5 turns won't sound like much but in my case I haven't been able to play through more than one turn without a lockup. This makes me wonder what makes the demo work on my machine and the full version lock up tight. BTS? Any ideas?

Cardinal Fang

No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Guest Scott Clinton

Latest patch?

The demo is v1.02 the best anyone (other than Beta testers) has is v1.01

Last I heard is that v1.03 may be making its debut end of this week (they will not be releasing v1.02 to the public).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Scott,

Part of me is saying that the demo is working because of the patch. However, the bitter cynical side of me (which is much bigger and louder) is saying that the demo is working because it's a "stripped down" version of the full game. I really hope the patch will fix everything but I don't know if the 1.03 patch is dealing with lockups are just tweaking the game and squashing a few bugs(and apparently the bugs are few and far between if the game works on your system).

I have a couple of things I want to try but I didn't get around to them last night. One, that I mentioned somewhere else is to remove the soundcard either from the profile or physically and the other, which I just thought of this morning, is to rename the wav directory and see if the game will run without it and if that helps the lockups. For some reason I have a hunch that it's a problem with my soundcard.

Of course, my hunches are usually wrong. smile.gif

Cardinal Fang

Have Comfy Chair. Will Travel.

Guest Big Time Software

Cardinal Fang,

The main difference between the demo and the full version is that the demo uses 22KHz sounds, while the full version uses 44 KHz (CD-quality) sounds.

So it does sound like there is a problem with your sound card. Do you have the latest drivers for it?

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for the information. It seems like the sound card is the likely culprit then. I do have the latest drivers. However Aopen doesn't actually fill me with confidence. They have a program that will check their web site for new drivers. Which is nice but it asks if you want to "doanload" the drivers. Also with the Aopen tools they give you the option to "upgrate" the drivers. <sigh> I guess I'll start saving my pennies for a new soundcard. In the meantime I'll try the Yamaha drivers instead of the Aopen ones. Also could you tell me if the games requires sound to play? I was thinking of removing the soundcard from my hardware profile and seeing if I could play the game then. I think I've done all I can with the soundcard controls. I'll let you know what results I get. Unless I somehow manage to fry something. :-P

Thanks for the help.

CardinalFang

Have Comfy Chair. Will Travel.

Okay here's the results of my latest attempts to fix my lock-ups.

1) Renamed WAV directory. Result: Game played from the CD. Game locked. Managed to get to the task manager and get out of it.

2) Removed WAV directory (I'm a slow learner) Result: Game played from CD. Game Locked. Had to Reboot.

3) Removed SoundCard from hardware profile.

No sound. Game locked up. Had to reboot.

4) Installed the Yamaha 1040 drivers to replace the Aopen 1040 drivers. Game locked up. Had to reboot.

5) Reinstalled the Aopen drivers and came here to post the results.

So it looks like I'm hosed unless those wise, kind, intellegent,and (I'm told) good-looking folk at BTS can somehow find away to fix it in the upcoming patch. Pleeeeeease?? Even if the solution is to disable sound entirely or something. (Hey, I'm grasping at straws here) In the meantime I think I should start the "Buy Cardinal Fang A Good Sound Card" fund.

Cardinal Fang

Trying To Smile Through The Pain

Fang, I think it's time for you to uninstall your soundcard software, go into your case, and remove the soundcard from the computer. Reboot, and see if the game will run without hanging. If it runs, then you have confirmed that your soundcard is the culprit. If it STILL does not run, then it is most likely something else that is causing all your problems (I tend to agree that it is probably your soundcard, but you should test this before you waste any money on a solution that may not work).

------------------

Formerly known as not THE Charles from BTS

Pfalz XII,

sigh. I was hoping I wouldn't have to crack the case for awhile. It'll be a little while before I can afford to buy a sound card anyway so I'll have time to yank the card and make sure that it's the problem. There's one question though, will CM work without a sound card? Okay there's another question (and it's a big one) is there anything BTS can do to help resolve this problem?

Cardinal Fang

No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Guest Big Time Software

The easiest way to turn off sound in CM is to press SHIFT-S while in the game. (Maybe twice). See if that stops the crashes.

Charles

Thanks Charles but "been there, done that"

:-(

I've done everything except take the card out. That's one reason I wasn't quite sure it was the sound card until the demo worked. I'm planning on switching sound cards wiht a friend of mine to see if that clears it up. You can be sure I'll post the results. Thanks for the reply.

I just had another thought (Gee two in one day!) perhaps it isn't a hardware or a software problem. Perhaps the little elctronic soldiers know how poorly I'm going to command them (they've been watching me play SPW@W maybe) and they're refusing to fight! That might be it! It's not the sound card it's mutiny! :)

Cardinal Fang

Daring To Hope Tha He Might Get To Play CM

I read your problem on CM and was wondering what resources level u are at - control panel / system / performance. as i know one guy also had the game crashing adn it was because his resources where i think around 50 something. Anyway i send u a site u can check about stopping things starting up when u load windows. http://www.flipchip.net/win98opt.htm the only only things i have running in my START/RUN type in msconfig - then go to startup tab and all i have running is scanregistry/ and both loadpowerprofile. My system normal boots at around 95 resources.

This may help may not but worth checking it out smile.gif anyway let us know if any help or not.

Geoff