CMBO movies are all buggy, all the time...

Hi Gents, perhaps one of you can help me. I'm having a problem where the CM engine "skips and studders" during the movie phase (jumping from 0 seconds to 60) I have given an explanation at the end as to the behavour that I'm seeing, but my real question is how to completely purge my system so that I can play CMBO again. I have not added any new software or driver updates for months and months... All I have been using my PC at home for has been e-mail and CMBO and everything was working fine up until a week or so ago. I can't imagine that anything has happened on my system to make CMBO dependencies somehow invalid. (I'm running another virus check now...)

Besides the following, what can I do?

I've tried de-installing the app, then deleting all the directories and re-installing. When that didn't work, I've de-installed, deleted, and ran through the registry looking for things to delete. No luck there. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reade (aka ryddle)

btw, the behaviour is as follows:

1) CM loads and I can log into a PBEM file (or start a QB) just fine.

2) During the movie phase, two things have happened

a) The lower two buttons on the lower right for issuing commands to the movies are not present, in stead (where there would normally be the 60 second counter), I get a single digit with a hyphen and 4 extra digits. e.g. 4-1325. When I press play, the units keep on moving as though we were watching the full play out of the movie until all the units have moved off the map.

B) After several rebuilds where everything has been deleted and the registry purged of any CM reference that I could find, I get similar behavour wrt the playing of movies. If I start a movie, it will play, but if I touch any of the movie controls, it snaps to 60 seconds and doesn't let work through the movie.

In the past when this problem has come up there seemed to be two possibilities. A video driver problem or some sort of 'spyware' program that gets installed (which seemed to have been common on some Dell units awhile back).

This thread had some details about a spyware removal program, which is also referred to in this thread.

This is one of the threads that mentions the problem. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any consistency in the solution and I don't know if it went away completely for these users.

Thank-you very much, that fixed my problems. I had tried using several different mp3 search engines (Bear-Share, Kazza?) and one of those turkeys loaded up some stuff on my system. Once I ran 'adaware' and purged my system, all works well.

Now I can get back to being killed again!

Thanks

Reade (aka ryddle)