Infantry in trenches

I seems that the infantry is useless once placed in trenches:

If a squad in the standing up stance is set to "ambush mode", the soldiers are kneeling and hiding at the bottom of the trenches (everything logical there). But once the ambush order is cancelled (when ennemy is coming into range), the soldiers keep kneeling down in the trench, and refuse to look over the parapet. which means they can hear the ennemy soldiers, but they can't see them, and so, don't shoot at them. When the first ennemy soldiers enter the trench system, my men start rapidly to panic, and are easily killed.

If I try the same situation without giving the ambush order first, they'll keep standing until they see the first ennemies. They'll have time to fire a few shots at ennemy soldiers, but they'll be shot at by advancing ennemy tanks, and very soon they'll become shy and hide again in the trenches, refusing to see the sad realities of the world around them :), with the same end result as in the first case.

How is it possible to order the units to really quit the ambush mode, to leave the kneeling stance and have a look at what is happening over the parapet?

Is this behavior induced by ennemy fire? like if the soldiers where pinned down, and unwilling to risk even a quick glance above cover? if that is so, it seems to be a bit too much (like the whole squad being pinned down at once, even soldiers who are not shot at). And if it's the case, it would be nice to have at least some feedback, because seing that they're not even trying to change position in the trench to get to a less exposed area, it doesn't appear like they're bothered by the ennemy firing at them.

Has this something to do with the soldiers experience?

If the guys are given an attack order by clicking on an ennemy soldier, they'll not stand up and try a shot, they'll simply go over the parapet in full view.

it almost looks like this annoying behaviour soldiers have in buildings: kneeling when they see an ennemy, and being unable to shoot because once kneeling, they can't see from the window and refuse to stand up again. I would expect soldiers to be kneeling in face of danger, but to have them stand up, fire, kneel again to reload, and stand up again to fire, unless they're under heavy fire and pinned down.