In lieu of Full Game Playback...

... how about the game takes a snapshot of the disposition of all the units at a given time interval that can be played back after the game. Maybe just interpolate the motion between steps. This would at least give some feedback to you after you play a game about how well your tactics worked. Whether you almost walked into an ambush ect ect.

I think Sid Meiers Gettysburg did something like this just but used regimental blocks or something.

Anyway due to the massive amount of data generated I'm resigned to the fact that a full game replay is probably never going to happen but this way very little data has to be stored and will at least give you some feedback at the end about how well your tactics worked or didn't. I think it would add a lot to the enjoyment of my victories.

Just an idea to kick around for awhile.

Rod