Ruleset questions

rich12545

Is it possible to setup a building or unit that requires food or oil or money to build?

No, but I'm always welcome to suggestions. I'd like to make the game more flexible, including not only the ability to spend resources to build units, but even the ability to define new resources. So, the ability to spend X resources to build something is something that needs to be in there. (Example: the ability to spend 30 Wood to build a catapult.)

Is it possible to setup a tech improvement that requires different resources?

No, did you have something in mind? Do you mean that it costs resources to learn a new technology, or do you mean technologies that consume resources (e.g. a coal factory requires X coal per turn)?

What does production under cost mean? Number of turns?

This means "production cost". Cities have a production value (e.g. 12) and the number of turns to build something is [production cost] / [city production value].

Well, I'm thinking about a ruleset where it costs different resources to go from one tech to another. And different resources to build units, but not time (for the techs). But there aren't any resources to gather (or very few), you need to have buildings in cities to produce them. I haven't totally fleshed this out yet and won't until after I play several games. But something that emphasizes a plus (production) for cities instead of a cost and no turn cost for units.

Well, I'm thinking about a ruleset where it costs different resources to go from one tech to another.

Okay. So, a system where is costs X resources to progress from tech A to tech B?

And different resources to build units, but not time (for the techs).

So, X resources to build a unit, rather than a production cost.

But there aren't any resources to gather (or very few), you need to have buildings in cities to produce them.

Okay, you would build resources inside the cities using different improvements.

I haven't totally fleshed this out yet and won't until after I play several games. But something that emphasizes a plus (production) for cities instead of a cost and no turn cost for units.

I'm not sure if I follow you here.

Okay. So, a system where is costs X resources to progress from tech A to tech B?

So, X resources to build a unit, rather than a production cost.

Resources only for techs, both for units.

Okay, you would build resources inside the cities using different improvements.

Basically. It's just something I've been thinking about. It puts all emphasis on cities rather than resources scattered about. I still don't know for sure if it's something that would be fun but was wondering if was even possible.