Indirect fire?

Is it possible to fire artillery in the in-direct mode? I'm playing the assault of Syrtsev and would dearly love to put some rounds on the trench line to the north. To clarify, I am referring to 'on-map' units such as the Hummel.

Dave

San Diego

Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

I went back to TOW2 and played around with the artillery in the 2nd US scenario. I could execute an indirect fire mission by selecting ground attack. I assume that indirect fire in TOW2 Kursk is executed in the same manner.

Dave

San Diego

Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

The indirect fire of hummel and waspe is not working (like in TOW 1) and it's annoying to not to be able to use them in the field ...

I hope that they will fix this aspect in the final release of TOW2 Kursk ... otherwise it will be sad ... because the mortars (fixed and mobile) and fixed field artillery are working perfectly !

So, I think it's not impossible to solve this problem...

SPGs can fire indirect, but the trajectory is really shallow for most of them because of shell velocity. Historically mobile artillery units fired indirect to much greater distances than possible on 2x2km game maps. Cool 'over a house' shots are possible only in games where the ranges are scaled or shell parameters are altered completely (COH, MOW, etc).

To use Hummel and Wespe in their indirect role in the game, you should select one, make sure that HE shell is loaded, click ground attack button and survey the battlefield trying to find the spot where mouse cursor is red. It's possible to fire even if LOS line is blocked, i.e. to fire indirect, but in the case of these SPGs shell trajectory is shallow and would go over only low obstacles (low hill, a house in the center between SPG and it's target).

Yep, you are somehow right regarding the SPGs trajectory...

"SPGs can fire indirect, but the trajectory is really shallow for most of them because of shell velocity"

But, in this way, form the player point of view SPGs will not be very useful when deploying them in front line (in the field) ...

I said somehow because, for example, in TOW2 the american 105mm field gun could fire indirectly with very curved/high trajectories even in these kind of maps (hope to write all things right and not to miss some details or unit names :) ) ...

Because of that, I think that if you select an SPG, it will be useful to have also a kind of option if you want to take them in the field (like now) or to use them as "proximity" or "close" support artillery (an additional button - practically in the same way you control air support, mortars and artillery), but some how keep them in the selected task force (in order to gain some experience) ...

I know you can do it (somehow solve the "problem")...

Thanks (Sneaksie) for your precedent reply and I'm waiting for your opinion ;)

eumichi