Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBB Map Graphics

FJDahl

Having a problem with large maps. In views #3 and #4 map does not fill completely. Fills maybe half and then fills as I move camera forward. It seems to me my computer should handle this and at no time on medium maps with many units have I had any problems. In fact I've had no problems with any other games I've played lately, Sturmovik, CivIII, MOHAA. Any suggestions as to settings and/or other ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Pentium 4 2.6GHz 533FSB

1024 RDRAM PC800

Intel D850EMVR

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR Cat2.3 DirectX8.1

SB Audigy w/1394 and Klipsch5.1

Res. 1024 x 768 @ 85Hz

[ January 18, 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: FJDahl ]

Originally posted by FJDahl:

I'm having no problems with other games, everything runs great including CMBB except for the filling of terrain on large maps. From my understanding there are problems with Cat 2.4, 2.5, 3.0 drivers and CMBB.

Hmm, I only got the game to work yesterday (non-graphics related), but didn't notice any problems with graphics, and I am running catalyst 2.5 (and win 9x), though with a radeon 8500.

However, I have had issues with other games with the previous two catalysts, especially 2.3 . Didn't see any point in going to 3.0 yet though.

As always what works for one, might not work for another. smile.gif

I don't think that you're seeing anything abnormal with your system and CMBB. What you're seeing happens with a variety of video cards and drivers. Not every item is drawn out and textured as it gets close to the edge of the battlefield (even with the Horizon setting maxed). I'm guessing that this has been intentionally coded into CMBB in order to conserve video memory for textures or other video performance issues (since maps can be much larger in CMBB and textures are also, by default, larger for everything else).

I doubt that upgrading to newer Catalyst drivers will do anything for you regarding CMBB. A number of people have had problems with Catalysts newer than 2.3, but it is possible that these problems might be limited to Win2K/XP, but I haven't checked that out myself.

Well maybe if I read the manual a little better. I was thinking of the horizon as that static background, when in fact to cure my perceived problem all I had to do was shift-h and bingo unlimited map horizon. Thanks for the help, its hard to fix what isn't broke.