Abu Susah battle

Just played the Abu Susah battle as Red (for a change). I played turn-based, veteran. I placed most of my Syrian guys in the Mosque with a few in outlying buildings on both flanks, but generally in line with the Mosque. In other words, everyone was up front and packed into three or four buildings. I placed all IEDs on the approaches to the occupied buildings. When the US vehicles showed up, I let them advance to within 400m and then opened up. Within a couple of minutes all vehicles were destroyed and the remaining US soldiers trapped under MG fire (Mord's cuss mod came into its own at this point). I scored a major victory with 163 points v. 50. My casualties were: 6 KIA and 6 WIA. US casualties were: 27 KIA, 9 WIA, 19 MIA, 7 AVs lost. For me, this illustrated how unconventional forces can hold up regular forces, if armed with half decent kit and concentrated in civilian areas or UNESCO-protected buildings. And if prepared to keep a steady nerve. I guess a human opponent would have dismounted the infantry before engaging, tried to work round my flanks, while pumping in suppressive fire from a safe distance. Maybe I'll try the scenario from the US perspective now . . .

I think you've learned the secret about the Syrians. With the exception of armored vehicles, special forces, and the occasional heavy weapons team, all of your forces need to be concentrated near a strategic spot. Operating small units all over a map (like the Americans are so apt to do) will get you destroyed in detail, because Syrian squads simply do not have the C3 or firepower to deal with almost any firefight (even an even-odds one) against American troops that are not exposed and moving.

In fact, in my time as the Syrians (and since I've got a PBEM going I shouldn't say this, except he's played me in CMAK and he knows my style), I've learned that it's best to treat them a lot like I would light armor in WWII, even when using T62s and higher. Use them one at a time and they get slaughtered. Pop a whole platoon or company of them over that ridge simultaneously, and you can normally get off enough good shots to give you at least a 2:1 kill ratio. Which ain't bad, all things considered.

Hi There and many thanks for the feedback. That's interesting stuff and I'll sure bear it in mind for future scenarios.

My thinking in the above scenario was to throw everything at the US forces before they could deploy their superior firepower or call in off-map fire missions.

I expected the AI to give me a harder time, and no doubt a human player would. The way the scenario played out was quite spectacular.

But I was brought back down to earth by the next scenario I played as RED, where my force got wiped out in 5 minutes!

It has been my experience that while the Syrians will get chewed up in a furball between them and US infantry, you are far better to go to close combat than to engage at range. The Syrian artillery spotting sucks, and won't get enough rounds on target. The US artillery spotting is excellent however, and much heavier and in possession of more ammo, so trying to hold the US troops at range with MMG and sniper fire and dropping arty on their heads (what you would do with US troops under the same conditions) just means that you're going to get plastered with multiple ToT barrages that will almost always cause excessive damage to your forces.

The same can be said for armored vehicles in a standup fight. BMPs work better against Brads if they can attack in close, where the TOW launchers are no good, and the T-series tanks all virtually NEED to attack Abrams from the sides at extremely close range to get reliable kills.

That said, I have lots of fun playing as the Syrians, but I find myself more reliant on AFVs and IFVs than I do as the Americans, with their excellent discipline, AT assets, and integrated firepower.

Hi and thanks again for good advice. I'll definitely follow your guide here. I just played another scenario as RED and scored a major victory against a US Stryker assault. I agree that playing the Syrians can be fun, and am gradually learning how best to organise them. Thanks again - help much appreciated.