Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New file at the Repository: East Rising Campaign - Scenario 1 (2009-12-03)

East Rising - Scenario 1 - Surprise Attack (Note: LARGE/Long Scenario)04 July, 2010. U.S.Army/U.S. Marine Corp. Armor Resupply & Repair Depot. 0120 hours.Knocking you out of your bunk, the nearby explosion blew out windows sending shards of glass every where. As your hearing started to return over the high pitched ringing sound in your ears, you could start to make out the sound of mens screams as well as hurriedly shouted voices on the edge of panic. You know of no intel nor of any current threat assessment that would have led to an attack, if that is what this was. Yet now with the sound of incoming rounds and the increasing number of impacts nearby, you realize that the base is indeed under a full scale artillery bombardment normally preceeding a major assault.This massive artillery barrage is to accurate to be a small thrust and best guess scenario. You have no doubt your base and the surrounding areas have been infiltrated by Special Forces, both combat units and artillery spotter units. You know you will need to take them out quickly to reduce additional direct artillery barrages. You only wonder now, how many units and personnel you have and are loosing in this massive first strike. (note: Massive artillery barrage at very start of scenario will slow your system down initially, have patience)

More...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Has anyone tried this scenario and do you have any comments, suggestions, changes or problems with it? I am completing the rest of the scenarios for the full campaign but would like to hear some feedback on this scenario if possible before I finish and release the full campaign..

Just saw your message, i'll try it out now.

EDIT:

Ok now for my first opinion.

I like your idea of the US base attack by Syrian forces! :)

Some of the forces you have used like the BRDM AT5 and TOW launcher are very nice to see for a change.

Although you idea is quite well worked out, in my opinion the mission itself and the map could use some more work.

The map:

Although not ugly perse it is quite simple. In my opinion too simple too feel really 'immersed' by. It is by large flat and I only had to move some abrams tanks to a position where they could help my ATGM's taking out hordes of T-72's and BMP-1's. My PC ran the map without problems in RT however this might be different for users with less high end machines.

The scenario

I think you have blown the idea a bit out of proportion. A 20 minute? artillery barage is quite a lot to wait for. There are heaps of forces all over the map, some Syrians starting in the same building as my troops (perhaps the intention?), no real tactical challenges except for moving a few Abrams and ATGM vehicles.

Again I think a smaller map with more varying heights, less forces, better AI attack plan and more 'flavour' objects should bring more value to your idea.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but that is my opinion.

Anyway thanks for making a scenario!

• 1 month later...
Just saw your message, i'll try it out now.

EDIT:

Ok now for my first opinion.

I like your idea of the US base attack by Syrian forces! :)

Some of the forces you have used like the BRDM AT5 and TOW launcher are very nice to see for a change.

Although you idea is quite well worked out, in my opinion the mission itself and the map could use some more work.

The map:

Although not ugly perse it is quite simple. In my opinion too simple too feel really 'immersed' by. It is by large flat and I only had to move some abrams tanks to a position where they could help my ATGM's taking out hordes of T-72's and BMP-1's. My PC ran the map without problems in RT however this might be different for users with less high end machines.

The scenario

I think you have blown the idea a bit out of proportion. A 20 minute? artillery barage is quite a lot to wait for. There are heaps of forces all over the map, some Syrians starting in the same building as my troops (perhaps the intention?), no real tactical challenges except for moving a few Abrams and ATGM vehicles.

Again I think a smaller map with more varying heights, less forces, better AI attack plan and more 'flavour' objects should bring more value to your idea.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but that is my opinion.

Anyway thanks for making a scenario!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.. Been slowly working on the remaining scenarios for the full campaign.

This was the first scenario ever so still learning the way to properly design a map is something I am trying to do.. Perhaps someone can create a nice tutorial on that. I am able to get things to go up and down but to actually create workable ridges, hills, mountains and such... well I seem to mess things up more than anything else.

I will answer each item you mentioned:

1) This map is a bit flat. partially because I am still trying to learn how to create proper maps using the editor.. I seem to create these maps that have a lot of right angles to them... bleh.. Additionally this map is supposed to be somewhat flat since it is around a U.S. military base and additional ammo depot armory. The base is also attached to a training area/grounds for weapons live fire ranging and practice. It does have some high terrain and low terrain.. it is not completely flat by any means.

2) Artillery barrage - It is intended to be long as a precursor to the actual attack. The barrage coincides with special forces units that have infiltrated the base already.. (more on that later) and they have called in the precise strike locations based on where units are and movement throughout the base and attached training area.

3) Troops starting in the same building - That is designed in. If you look at their info, they are 'Special Forces' units. They have infiltrated the base. The idea was twofold. a) they are spotters for the artillery barrages. B) they can cause some havoc inside the base before base personnel can position themselves to counter the special forces units. i.e. notice that depending on some things, you could end up loosing the locations that are needed for victory because the spec-ops units are inside the buildings and need only surprise your units enough to take them out thus gaining control of the building and victory location.

4) As for flavor objects... I am trying to learn more about that as well.. Subsequent scenarios as well as updates to this will hopefully contain more of that kind of thing.

5) I built some randomness into the scenario so it plays different each time. Syrian forces do not always show up or do the same thing each game. I will look into adding more to it tactically but in reality it is supposed to be an all out rush by the Syrians to take the base before you can get people into your armor... following the massive arty barrage that attempts to destroy all the armor you have located in the depot at the time.

What did you think about the design aspect where all your armor units, with a few exceptions of on duty units, are actually empty and contain no crews thereby forcing you to find and place the right crew into the right armor unit before it becomes available for use? Were you able to find all the right crews for the right units to power up?

** one other thing.. You said you like the new use of units types and so forth... wait until the next few scenarios come up... Without giving away to much I can tell you that the Syrians did capture some U.S. locations and it will and does have direct bearing on upcoming scenarios.. If you loose this scenario it also dramatically impacts the path of the full campaign and on what you have available for use. A friend tested one of the future scenarios. I loved his reaction when he had first contact with the Syrians in that scenario (no. 4 or no. 5 in my campaign) ... his reaction "Oh crap..." and 'WTF?' :-) I had to get creative so get away from the same old same old.

Malakie