Impression

Chargin Smith

I could also strongly argue that Warcraft, Starcraft, Supreme Commander, and C&C are all basically just graphical updates of Dune II.

And that Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age are basically graphical updates of Ultima I.

And that Diablo was basically a graphical update of nethack.

And that Empire was basically just a PC conversion of existing boardgames.

So what? The times are long gone when computer games did not always build and improve upon previously existing games. If you find a game today that you think look completely original, it is probably only because of personal lack of knowledge.

While I am enjoying this new game, it is basically a graphical update of the old "Empire and Empire Deluxe"game.

I haven't played Empire Deluxe in a long while, but doesn't EoS have a lot of additional game play features, e.g. tech trees? So it's a lot more than a graphical update, no?

movement interface takes some time to get used to.

Which bit of it are you having trouble with? I thought it was fairly common sense except transporting, which is a good solution once you get the hang of it.

AI can be improved!

I've heard this from others, and I expect it's true (as it almost always is for any game), but its not been my experience so far. I've only played the Med map (thanks to the modder - great map!) so far for any length of time, with 7 veteran AIs, and they are giving me hell. They seem overly fond of arty, but it seems to be working for them.