A "WANAT" Tacticals scenario to be uploaded

Nearly ready to upload, in a day or two, a new scenario fought on a 770 X 1650 meters map (Blue against the Red A.I - Marines V 1.20), I designed following the numerous press reports and forum posts about the « WANAT » attack.

That scenario setting, while not following exactly what happened there, retains the main tactical issues that were pointed out.

The village is located up north in a deep and narrow valley surrounded by high summits, with a winding road running through it, South bound to a large river, flowing West to East, 500 meters away. There, a bridge is the only way to reach the village through the river and the valley road.

Needless to say the US Army C Company platoon, the scout team with a 50 cal Humvee, the ANA auxiliaries platoon two squads strong and their Recon team in a BTR-60 are beleaguered in the village houses and trenches. Two MG bunkers have been built on opposite steep slopes of the village to over watch the approach avenues, the best it could be done. Better said, than done.

At the game opening, the Taliban’s are closing in and about to start their attack. The only outside support asset are 2 X 120mm mortars. The average, first “on the way” round is about 6 to 8 minutes.

The only choice is to stay in defence, tighten the perimeter, and sight wisely the Humvee M2 and the BTR. Their only hope is to slow down the assailants and not to be overrun.

A QRF made of an ANA, 3 squads strong platoon mounted on BMP’s, is on its way and should be view of the bridge in the next 15 minutes. They will be reinforced 15 minutes later by a US Army QRF platoon from C company made of 5 Bradley’s, 3 squads and an FO team in a BFIST (they will lower the “on the way” first round, average time, to 2 to 3 minutes).

2 Apaches will be able to rally over 15 minutes after the US Army QRF arrival.

Tactically speaking with these 2 QRF forces, counter attacking should be easy, even without the Apaches.

You should be able to reach the beleaguered force in the village quite quickly, that is if you are not taking in account, what is being learned in tactical courses.

Well, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I had in the numerous tries I made before being satisfied with the setting. It was, however, difficult not to have the Taliban’s surrender too early, till I found a way to prevent it, by pure accident.

Here are some shots of the area

Cheers

mx8ihhssk3_tn.jpg

vr8xxqeeau_tn.jpg

b0w0djm0wb_tn.jpg

dfi3hmqn8f_tn.jpg

What's "WANAT"?

Wanat is a village, where US and ANA troops were severely assaulted the 13th of July 2008 (only disclosed lately).

The defense of that village was not the best it could have been for different reasons. You will find in the numerous links about it and in the Forum.

Anyway, following that battle there have been AAR and advices on what should have been done and what should be done from now on.

Try the battle when it comes out in the next 48 hours and find for yourself a way out or at least to stay alive till the end.

Cheers

2 snake_eye

And haw about the mine fields around US defense positions?

There are no mines fields, since they will be a threat to the villagers and they will impair movement of the ANA and US platoons in the village. Besides it seems that orders are not to use them.

In a real fight they would have had claymores (trip and or triggered directional mine) and trip flares devices for early and or short warning.

Cheers

I asked about defensive positions, because, on TVreporting video evidently, that an outpost was enough well equipped in a fortification plan, and accordingly it would be desirable to see more trenches, sacks with sand, low walls and buildings prepared for defense.

I heard as though, that mines had been there. By the way imitating separate mines is possible putting very little minefields on some paths in mountains.

I asked about defensive positions, because, on TVreporting video evidently, that an outpost was enough well equipped in a fortification plan, and accordingly it would be desirable to see more trenches, sacks with sand, low walls and buildings prepared for defense.

I heard as though, that mines had been there. By the way imitating separate mines is possible putting very little minefields on some paths in mountains.

You got it, I shall put low walls and or sand sacks on the rim of the trenches. If I can get some rooftop fortified I shall do it. I don't think it will change mostly the defense ability of the US and ANA forces. Anyway, it is a good idea and it will look better.

But there won't be any mines. The Russian had covered huge areas at the time with what was called Butterflies mines. They were designed to maimed a foot. That they did pretty well and casualties among civilians elderlies as well as kids were high. Because of the fact that they were dropped by chopters, they were not buried (neither were they designed to be) and sometimes, the areas were not well charted. The Russians had quite a few casualties themselves. If you want to move around, As I said you don't use mines, but listening devices to warn you of the movement of the enemies. You can then use Air assets and or artillery with particular rounds. They do better than the mines, if I can say.

Cheers

Glad to hear, good fortification will not prevent i think.

Yes, I know about "butterflies", but Wanat outpost was there not for a 1 day, and US forces can stay mines on the most dangerous direction, it's logical. It's just my supposition. Yes "Claymores" would be much to the place, bad that we don't have it in game.

I just hear that talibans had engineering squad to clear mines in this battle, maybe it's just fantasy of same reporters in Russia.

Glad to hear, good fortification will not prevent i think.

Yes, I know about "butterflies", but Wanat outpost was there not for a 1 day, and US forces can stay mines on the most dangerous direction, it's logical. It's just my supposition. Yes "Claymores" would be much to the place, bad that we don't have it in game.

I just hear that talibans had engineering squad to clear mines in this battle, maybe it's just fantasy of same reporters in Russia.

Mines were not allowed, from what I read and they did not have time anyway. The claymores were used to cover the most likely approach. The Taliban's had some parties turning them toward the US and ANA forces.

Thanks again for the fortification suggestion. I shall post pictures tomorrow. It looks fine.

Cheers

Looks good.

I assume you used these PDF's and this image to create the battle.

No I did not. I haven't seen the map before, but a picture of the village. Wanat looks like many villages in the Afghan's valleys. You put a village in a deep valley which is winding, a narrow road following it and a river somewhere. You have all you need to set either a tactical attack, ambush and or defense sites.

I shall have a better close look at your links tomorrow. All available information makes a better understanding of what happened;

Thanks for these.

Cheers

2 snake_eye

Not bad if map will be close to this original... ;-)

It will look somehow similat to that map. Since it is a tactical scenario, the upmost details won't be necessary, as long as the principal things are being taken care of.

Here are the trenches modified and the fortified houses as promised.

Cheers

g933pw8lg4_tn.jpg

mc79u00npf_tn.jpg

h8k4qiy213_tn.jpg

ymk4sey7qo_tn.jpg

Looks VERY good.

I remember, I see somewhere in game editor a sacks with sand laid at not big square, formative a shelter for troops. Such square shelter from sand bags can be intended for a location in them of MGteams (as I understand now for this purpose squares made from low walls, but will be MG shooting from wall, when it deployed?). Also I am afraid that infantry in the trench will not see nothing through the walls (at 1st screen).

I think will be good to see a concrete blocks on the road, shutting out through passage transport on high speed. And also trench for BMP/BTRs.

I think will be good to see a concrete blocks on the road, shutting out through passage transport on high speed. And also trench for BMP/BTRs.

The trenches for vehicles can be seen on the second shot. I haven't found concrete blocks in the editor. Anyway the Taliban's in that scenario won't be attacking with vehicles.

If the game was a reflect of the real world, the road would be cut to slow down incoming vehicles and obliged them to turn on a parallel road covered with an MG pit. Barrel filled with concrete and or concrete barriers (New jersey style) will be used. Trenches along the road will prevent vehicles leaving it and funelized them into a covered fire field of an MG.

That can not be done presently in that game. I have however done it in ARMED ASSAULT and I can tell you that you don't stand a chance if you want to get through the check point with a truck and or a technical. The only way is to avoid it a long distance before by leaving the road. To avoid that, it has to set in a place not allowing such a possibility.

That is what is done with real check point. You see it at the last moment and can't do a thing to avoid it. If you do so you are dead.

Cheers

The trenches for vehicles can be seen on the second shot. I haven't found concrete blocks in the editor. Anyway the Taliban's in that scenario won't be attacking with vehicles.

Concrete blocks - maybe you can use small concrete wall for it.

Own more idea:

I think US mast have 1 fortified main base in the village and some checkpoints on the road, especial near the bridge. But it's just my environment.

But and now it's looks good.

Concrete blocks - maybe you can use small concrete wall for it.

Own more idea:

I think US mast have 1 fortified main base in the village and some checkpoints on the road, especial near the bridge. But it's just my environment.

But and now it's looks good.

You are right the bridge should be protected (since that is the only way through the valley)and have fortified MG nests on either side, besides having chech points about 200 meters before gettinng to it.

But, as I said that what should be done in a real setting. In the game you assume that the road has been open in the morning and that the bridge ( more a high berm with swamps on either side) environment is clear.

If I am doing exactly what I think (like you ) should be done, Wanat would not have happened or rather not the way it did. The scenario would not have a reason to be made.

As for the village, let's assume that the 2 bunkers with MG, the fortified houses and the nest for combat team, made with stones walls, are part of the main base.

Cheers

Following is the briefing of "A TACTICAL TALIBAN'S ASSAULT" scenario - Cheers -:

This scenario is about the tactical defence of an outpost against the taliban’s attacking it, like they did on july the 13th 2008 at WANAT in Afghanistan. It retains most of the errors that were made and disclosed nearly a year later. Let it be a Tactical learning tool about the ways the Taliban’s fight in order not to be surprised in such a situation and learn how to deal it the best way it could be.

It is in no way a critic against the defenders of Wanat. They did their duty, fought and died for they country as ordered by higher up to the best they could. God bless them all.

Situation: Enemy Forces

The Haschim Khan outpost is located in a narrow and steep valley, surrounded by high summits making patrols nearly impossible, but on the only road going through it and its near grounds. For that reason we are mostly relying on UAV flights to build our intelligence. The locals have told us that some Taliban’s groups were gathering in the far end of the valley leading to Peschsawar. On the other end of it toward Jalalabab and near the bridge our forces have kept the road open and no such groups have been encountered. We have never had IED on that strecht of road. Yesterday, the locals have told us of an impending attack by the Taliban’s. One of them, even asked us if the UAV were flying. As matter of fact the one affected to us has been diverted for the next coming days elsewhere. We don’t have any intelligence about these Taliban’s. Needless to say, we trust moderately the locals. They have seen our defence posts and God knows why they should not give their locations to their neighbours. Frankly the place stink, but orders are orders, like or not, will do as said.

^

Situation: Friendly Forces

.For our outpost defence, we have the 1st Platoon / C Company / 1st Batt, a scout team handed over by 4th Batt and an Humvee with a 50 cal HMG. As a gift, we have to train the 2nd Platoon / B Company ANA 3rd Batt. They brought with them a derelict BTR-60 to use in Recon training. We can call 2 X 120mm heavy mortars, from the fire base in the other valley next to us. The only drawback is that they can only deliver rounds 6 to 8 minutes later. It takes time, since they are afraid to make a blue on blue, in such a tight defence setting.

If we are attacked, we will have a QRF from our 2nd platoon brothers mounted on Bradley’s.

If they are engaged or not ready to react right away, a QRF from 2nd platoon / B Company / ANA : 2nd Batt mounted on BMP’s will approach the Haschim Khan bridge in 15 minutes time. Our brothers should then follow in the next 15 minutes. Anyway, Air Asset will be available in the 20 minutes of the start of an attack, if it comes. Their call sign Cobra 1 & 2^

Situation: Terrain and Weather

The weather is overcast and cool, the ground is damp with a Westerly light wind. No weather change forecast for the coming week.

^

Mission: Overall Description

Our mission is to prevent the outpost to fall with the village to the Taliban’s. If we are attacked, we should hunker down fight back and wait for the QRF and Apaches to come.

We will act as a magnet and fix the enemy enabling the QRF with its mortars and rapid chain gun to engage and destroy with the help of the Apaches.

^

Execution: Commander's Intent

To be only played Blue against red A.I with CMSF - USMC Module V 1.20