Multi-player, more than 2?

Carnyx

I still haven't tried multiplayer, sadly, but I'm almost embarassed to try because of how badly I'd get my ass handed to me the first few times. :D I've heard, however, that it is a very different experience than playing against the AI. You can play multiplayer in real-time or turn-based modes, and with turn-based you can play by e-mail. Not sure about more than 2 players playing. How would this work anyway?

No that feature has not be installed and if I recall it will not be. There is also no turn based TCP/IP gaming, nor pausable Real Time. What we do get is real time action which IMHO is not playable and PBEM via email is still playable. Mind you only one person can work on a turn at a time vs. previous PBEM features in earlier engine builds.

Looks like CM Normandy might rectify some of these but it unfortunately not so on release IIRC. Other MP features will be added at a later time.

AIUI native Co-Play (multi-multi player) is on the longterm path, but will not be seen in CMSF, will not be in the initial Normandy release, and is unlikely to be in any of the Normandy modules.

You can kludge it via PBEM with some goodwill and a few house-rules though.

AIUI native Co-Play (multi-multi player) is on the longterm path, but will not be seen in CMSF, will not be in the initial Normandy release, and is unlikely to be in any of the Normandy modules.

Pitty though. I would recommend HISTWAR for your MMP type game. Normandy seems to be cattered to the Real time crowd.

As someone who played a whole lot of PBEM and live games in CM-1 I find that CMSF plays best for me in single player. Although I do have a couple of SF PBEM on the go right now in a Tournament at WaW I prefer the RT play which I find much more responsive. I have yet to play an TCP game of cmsf as not a lot of people seem to want to play it.

Thanks for the info.

I am really into the MMP games and will give HistWar a go when it's released. I'm also looking at TOW2, apparently eight can play, I would be happy with four.

Cheers,

Mark

be carefull with TOW2 multiplayer!!!!!!!!!

Tow1 was a nightmare.... nothing like the original game.... more like u get 5 tanks each at various points on the map.... GO. Smash em up... end.

If TOW2 is better let me know as I am kinda interested....just scared of multiplayer lack of development and the frame rate problems of TOW1

I have the Russian version of Tow2 kursk on my PC as of yesterday.

This just gets odder.

Are you really saying that because it doesn't have a form of realtime it's catering to the real time crowd?

Or, because you can play PBEM it's catering to the real time crowd?

Or, because it doesn't have MMP (which could be either real-time or turn-based) it's catering to the real time crowd?

How ... odd.