Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Texture issue

I get lo-res textures. When the viewpoint is as close to the ground as it can get, there is a "round" area in the ground where the textures are high-res, outside of that area the textures are low-res and not exactly beautiful to look at. I had this same issue with my previous machine K6-2/400, 64Mb, TNT 1. Now that I´ve got Athlon 1,4 Ghz, 256Mb and GF 2, I can all but wonder what is causing this, since it cannot be due to lack of hardware... An option in Nvidia control panel gone wrong, or what ? Anybody familiar with this ?

You may want to adjust your mipmapping settings for DirectX. I'm not absolutely sure this will address the issue, but it is a place to start. Go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > GeForce 2 tab > Additional Properties... button > Direct3D Settings tab > under the Mipmapping section adjust the 'mipmapping detail' drop down dialog to 'Best Image Quality' (it may be set to the default of 'Best Performance'). You can also play around with the 'PCI Texture Memory Size', but I'm not sure how much of a difference it may make. You can also adjust the FSAA on the 3D Antialiasing Settings tab. The default where the 'application controls the antialiasing' will mean that it is off almost all of the time. Manually enable it and set it to either 2X or 4X. This will have a huge performance hit in your display speed, but it will make some elements of CM quite a bit smoother (though I doubt it will address your particular problem directly).