Too much sand - not realistic

BlackVoid

When it was released, I have not played CMAK too much, but recently I installed it again.

I soon realized that the desert terrain is flawed. Why? Sand was pretty much impassable for armor, vehicles and infantry. So the actual fighting was limited to the parts where there is not much sand. The Sahara is not all sand (common misconception), but largely rocky, flat, barren terrain - IDEAL for motorized warfare. Yet, this kind of terrain is pretty much missing in the game. The quick battle generator creates landscapes which are mostly sand with occasional rough patches. This is all wrong.

There was plenty of sand in the areas that were fought over, but mostly it was in thin layers over hardpan and stone. Vehicles could travel over it easily enough, but they would raise huge dust clouds in the process.

I believe that when you speak of "sand" you are thinking of the sand seas or ergs perhaps? Yes, those were virtually impassable for any serious sized formations.

Michael

There was plenty of sand in the areas that were fought over, but mostly it was in thin layers over hardpan and stone. Vehicles could travel over it easily enough, but they would raise huge dust clouds in the process.

I believe that when you speak of "sand" you are thinking of the sand seas or ergs perhaps? Yes, those were virtually impassable for any serious sized formations.

Michael

In the game, you can get easily bogged and immobilized in sand - that is not the kind of sand where the fighting took place, it is the quite of sand that was avoided.

"Arid ground" - is that an option in the editor? Because for QBs, I do not see any option to set ground type. I only play multiplayer quick battles, nothing else...

Yeah, it's an editor option. I know a lot of desert scenarios were designed with arid ground, and it may be possible that it's a function of battle date. I'm not sure, but do '43 battles take place on arid ground? CMAK isn't on this computer so I can't check.