PBEM problem, reposted from main board

I'd originally posted this to the general board since it gets more traffic, but I'll repost it here...

Fairly often, loading PBEM files hangs my computer. I'll enter my password and then...nothing. The mouse still works, but the HD isn't spinning. I can't ESC, alt-tab, or ctrl-alt-del out of the password screen. Eventually I just have to restart my computer.

A couple of tech specifics -

It's a PII 266, 64 mb ram, Riva 128 AGP, SB Live, MS Intellimouse. All drivers are up to date. I'm receiving my PBEM files as attachments via AOL.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the problem isn't that the files are being corrupted in transit. The first few times this happened, I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling CM. However, this doesn't work anymore. Also, I don't think it's a driver issue, as the game runs like an absolute champ when I'm playing the AI. No lockups, barely any slowdown, no jitters, nothing. I only have this problem when I'm loading PBEM files.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is getting seriously frustrating for me, and no doubt for my opponents as well.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Guest Big Time Software

I recommend having your opponents "ZIP" up their email files before sending them to you. This gets around the problem of some internet services (unbeknownst to you, probably) doing some black magic on "attachments" that may screw up PBEM. Such occurrences have been listed in some other threads here.

Charles

I'm now completely unable to open pbem files at all. Old files from games I've already completed now freeze my computer. I've tried downloading files via AOL and Hotmail, both zipped and unzipped, and nothing's working.

Could this be a problem with either my computer or my copy of CM? It seems increasingly unlikely that the files are getting corrupted since, as I've said, I'm now unable to load files that I've previously played.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Wow, this frightens me..I've just started trying to play EM games, am in the process of beginning one (almost as I'm typing) ... have had great results with AI games..am hoping to take it to the next level with PBEM games..hoping not to experience any probs!

------------------

"NO! There is no try..DO..or do not!"

~Yoda, Empire Strikes Back 1980

Guest Big Time Software

Chupacabra,

Quick test - play an email game against yourself. Just set up any old scenario. It doesn't matter which one. Save a PBEM file. Then load it back in as if you are the "other" player. Go back and forth with this a few times. If it works OK, that tells you that your other problems are related to PBEM files being corrupted in transmission.

Charles

Guest MajorH

> I'm receiving my PBEM files as attachments via AOL.

1. I have been an AOL user for a long time and I have pushed a considerable amount of PBEM files (TacOps) through it. My experience is that AOL intermitantly screws up PBEM files unless they are zipped. Always zip your PBEM files before you send them and have your opponent always zip his files.

2. Check the preference settings in the utility that you use to unzip files. Make sure that it isn't doing some extra processing without your knowledge such as adding or deleting carriage returns, linefeeds, and or special characters. You want to make sure that all it is doing is simply unzipping your files.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com