Air attacks and game potential (moding)

El Darbo

I watched a friend plat TOW2 the other day, and was really impressed. I'll be picking it up. One thing I didn't get to see was how air attacks work. Are the aircraft controlable, or are they some sort of scripted event that attacks a target point then leave?

I'd really like to see a game like this set in Vietnam. There'd need to be some additions though. Helicopters being the obvious one, but also things like Medevac, tunnels, and an injury engine that allowed those wounded to be moved and evacuated.

Anyways, just seeing what is what, and if anyone is moding to other eras.

The air attacks in ToW are working just like the off-map artillery support: the player click on the map on the location he would like the air support to take place. After a while (time depending on missions settings), ground attack aircraft arrive on the scene and starts attacking the targets they can see. That means they might not attack exactly the target you had choosen (it could have moved, or it could be that some others targets are in the area). after a while, when their ammo is expended, the airplanes return to their base, waiting for an other call (if there is any available). The same airplanes will be available for a later strike: if one of them has been shot down, one a/c less will return.

Modding ToW2 to the Viet-Nam era should be possible, theoretically. But this would be a tremendous amount of work, as every units, maps, static objects, etc... would have to be created from the ground up.

As for tunnels and Medevac, it's an other story...