CMBO-2 screenshot 24DEC03

****NEW CMBO2 STATUS REPORT AS OF 23 DEC 2003****

Merry Christmas!

Added a couple CMBO2 screenshots from my free website's pages. There in my latest post at end of this thread. had problems at first but seems to be working this way. Opens in a new window...

If you don't have an interest in my CMBO2 endeavour, that is OK. But if you do, here is what is happening as of 23 DEC 03

1. BMP FILE CHART: I am using the GrossDeutschland website's CMBB uniform BMP chart as a format to follow for making a presentable CMAK uniform BMP chart. 9000-10000 series bmp file numbers. I will also add the unit info box bmp file numbers as well since Michael Dorosh requested it. I am using "MS paint" to write the bmp file number on the bmp file of interest and then run it in the game. Then I see what situation it matches to and jot it down on my excel spreadsheet hardcopy. I have some holidays off here soon and will grind through it and get it done in a week or so. I guess if I do a good job here then anyone could do their own CMBO2.

2. TERRAIN CHANGES:

a. CMAK "Italian" style small buildings: To return back to the France, Belgium, Germany flavor I replaced most fo the 6000 series BMP files with an assortment of small buildings from CMBO, CMBB and the beautiful mods from Ed "Tanks a Lot" Kinney. It looks great! Just got Tiger's damaged versions for the old CMBO small bldgs so this should close this for the moment. It is your personal preference which ones you choose. I will tabulate what I did and offer it as an example.

b. CMAK "Italian" style large buildings issue: I messed with but they didn't turn out very nice so the maps in my tests all have large buildings deleted in the editor. I'll have to backburner this issue for later. Any ideas or tips anyone?

3. AXIS UNIFORM BMP CHANGES: This is my main focus. As a warm-up I am starting with what I am calling "CMBO2 BULGE FJ BATTLEPACK". This will be used on CMAK, select Italy for Dec 44 timeframe. I have written a few test scenarios with axis forces selected to have the units that show a wide assortment of uniforms while trying to keep balance with history, etc.

a. Added gloves to various "arms/sleeves" that needed gloves for cold winter weather. Grey, black, camo gloves. Really makes the troops look even better IMHO.

b. I have renumbered BMP files so my test scenario uses FJ company as the "main force". But when I select support troops I change the drop down menu and get them from other available flavors for that month/year such as INF, MECH INF, SS MECH INF, MTN, etc. This way I get my enhanced visual effect with a variety of axis headgear, upper clothing and pants. Mix n match. Based on CMBB uniform mods from AndrewtF and stock BMP's. Some modded again by me: added gloves, added Lufwaffe eagle to that nice chicken wire mesh helmet. FJ CO CDR now has a nice trenchcoat with Luftwaffe eagle (he used to fly JU-88's but got grounded in '43). Seems from ref book photos to be accurate that Bulge FJ divisions had a mix of FJ helmet and non-FJ helmet due to supply shortages. TOE of these support team guys seems exactly the same so far, I haven't noticed difference between GEBIRGS sniper filling in dressed as an FJ sniper and INF LMG MG42 seems same as FJ LMG MG42. I was worried they wouldn't "red line" and go under command of FJ platoon HQ but they do. They're not listed as specifically falling under the platoon's command. Also the rank listed in the unit info box and the graphic for the unit down there will not be FJ if unit isn't really FJ. But stock choices also seem hosed. FJ troops have a Heer graphic. Anyway, I will explore swapping those 1/4 view around but can't change text for rank. ROT for rottenfuhrer can't become proper rank for his stand-in role as a FJ. Also, the actual name of the unit when you hit "return" to see details on weapons will still say "GEBIRGSJAEGER SNIPER", etc. To me this is no biggie.

Later I will do the same approach for a primarily Waffen-SS Bulge battle (or heer, etc.). And then branch out timeframe wise. Probably back to summer 44 for FJ, SS and heer and thus take the gloves back off all the arms, get summer color smocks, etc. I'm excited!

Today I will make up a set of folders to e-mail out for anyone interested to test my progress to this point and provide feedback. I will zip into 3 folders. Each will be about half a meg. It'll give you readme directions, acknowledgement of where I got all the great artwork, renumbered CMAK uniform bmp files and a couple test scenarios.

Remember to make a copy of your original CMAK BMP folder first!

Shoot me an e-mail if you want a package e-mailed or have any comments! Thanks and I'll keep in touch...

[ December 23, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: NavyDiver ]

I realize that a lot of other folks could easily do this same thing of turning CMAK into CMBO2. Some other folks seem to be messing around with the CMAK uniform bmp files as well. I guess any of my comments about my version being posted are at best premature. Mine might not be the best version so the website folks would have to evaluate and decide what is best for the CM community.

I'm just excited and having a lot of fun!

Forgive me for my enthusiasm.

It dawned on me that this entire project greatly reflects the style of CM battle that I like. Small battles, down even below byte battle level. So, my approach and how it changes the issue of support troops and chain of command might really turn off the folks who prefer an organized affair with companies supporting battalions. It kind of matches that the variety of uniforms make more impact down at the tiny to small battles level as well.