A river runs through it.

Hi,

I just uploaded another scenario to the repository. It's once again centered on infantry combat. The terrain was made by Pete Wenman.

Lead a USMC infantry company to capture a bridge and attack a hill. Nothing fancy. Just some infantry centered combat against an entrenched enemy with a few surprises. Use the terrain, it offers lots of different approaches and tactical possibilities.

!The scenario takes place on one of the excellent maps made by Pete Wenman!

Requires Marines module.

I'm curious about any kind of feedback.

/EDIT: not cleared on the repository yet and somehow I always get an error message when I try to upload it at the new CMSF Mods Warehouse O_o

Some pics to wet your appetite:

Advancing towards the objective

river_02.jpg

Defending the perimeter

river_01.jpg

An unfortunate supply truck caught in the open

river_06.jpg

Enemy advance halted

river_05.jpg

The LAW had no effect on the T55 and the four guys were dead an instant later

river_07.jpg

Hi afreu,

i just played your scenario .. quite interesting and well done. :)

* POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW *

Overall I found it a little bit too difficult for me. I was playing Real time, elite difficulty and suffered a minor defeat. The Syrians suffered a lot of casualties, but still had enough left intact (maybe 35% of their force) after the two hour time limit. I managed to take the village and bridge, but never even came close to the hill.

I think the Syrians have just one big advantage in this scenario .. their Grenade launchers .. those were quite deadly and they also have quite a range at which they are still effective. The tanks were not a big problem .. i was also able to beat back the counterattack on the right flank quite comfortably.

Overall, quite enjoyable, just a little bit too hard for me .. but hey, I haven't played CMSF for quite some time (waiting for the British module), so maybe it's just me :D.

Same result for me on the same settings - and I play a lot.

SPOILER ALERT

22 Marine dead, every enemy counterattack blown away (good attacks btw) and still a minor defeat, with me just starting up to Hill 157 in overtime. What I think would balance this is:

1 - Ditching the trucks and providing AAVs or adding a couple of LAVs. The grenade launchers are a pain, but you can take them out with mortar fire The bunkers won't be shifted except by the Harrier and by the time that arrives we are in target rich environment for it. Some LAVs early on would have negated the bunkers, let me get further forward and really caused me problems with the counterattack.

2 - The Cobras are ineffectual unless you hold them back to deal with the armoured threat. I would lose them - the infantry anti-armour can take out the tanks - and add more arty. One 60mm mortar bty is not enough. Two would be better. An 80mm would be better still and also be effective against the bunkers.

3 Ignore all of the above and simply lose some of the defenders. I was surprised, at game's end, to see how many were left, considering how many I had killed, and the complex of trenches they were in.

Good scenario all the same.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Possible Spoiler

#

#

#

During playtesting I always managed to take at least 2-3 of the bunkers out with the Cobras. There is a bit of luck involved with the Cobras and they will spent most of their heavy ammo but it's possible.

I decided to minimise the player's support assets to make the mission harder. Which makes the setup less realistic but - I hope - more of challenge gameplaywise. Giving the player more heavy air support earlier or more artillery/mortars would make it to easy to suppress the entrenched enemy infantry from the distance.

BTW, it's possible to flank the enemy via one of the crossings to the right side of the bridge. Enabling you to attack the hill from behind. It's not a freeride, but it should be easier than taking the bridge directly.

I probably won't change the enemy setup in this mission, but I'll try to get a better balance in my next scenarios. Trying to emphasize the tactical challenge more instead of relying on the enemy's numerical superiority. ;)