Why can't I save Word e-mail attachments?

Apache

Not quite true actually, I can, but it's a bloody pain to do so!!!

I am using Win XP + Works Suite Word 2002 and have IE6 with SP1. I have set 'default doc directory' for Word to 'my documents'. When I get an e-mail attachment in Word and double click it I get the options prompt. If I select 'Save to disc' it takes me straight to 'My docs' and works OK. If however I open it from the attachment and try 'Save As' the bloody word 'task' on the taskbar flashes orange and when I click it it opens up temporary internet file location (Temp Internet Files / Content.IE5 / QVU3YLQ7)??? Any ideas as to what's wrong with it?

I recently installed Office 97 (just Excel) because I needed the spreadsheet for the CMBO/B lists and Biltongs Rule sets, and if I open an XL sheet and hit save as it takes me to 'my docs' to do so, not to some bloody obscure temp file loaction. So why doesn't the bloody Word programme? :mad: It's times like this when I bloody hate Microsoft products. Seemless integration my arse!!!!!!

I've tried uninstalling Office, re-installing Word, System Restore to a time before I bloody touched it, no joy. So it seems a programme designed in 97 works fine and a 2002 one doesn't. Crap, crap, crap!!!!! :mad:

Any help appreciated before I kick the machine to pieces!!

[ November 30, 2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]