How are ammo-depleted battles resolved?

Lightning War

Towards the end of the first battle of the French campaign all my tanks ran-out of AP shells. Not long after, the German tanks ran-out also. My tanks then spent the next ten minutes firing ineffective ammo at the German tanks which, in turn, were squashing my remaining infantry. This carried on until I only had several infantry remaining which were entrenched. the German tanks simply drove around randomly whilst my tanks used the last of their useless ammunition. This carried-on indefinitely until I became thoroughly f**ked-off with it and hit 'end battle'.

Is this a bug? What is one to do in this type of situation?

I even tried getting some of my infantry to capture a German gun and repeatedly fire HE ammo at the German tanks; all to no avail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe Gundolf is thinking of Uranium-depleted ammunition, whereas Lightning War is referring to running out of (all kinds of) ammunition in a battle.

I might be able to help.

I have had a couple of these battles. If the enemy tank runs out of ammunition, I think it is counted as "dead". It might have to run entirely out of ammo, which is difficult with the machine guns. Then again they might have been immobilized. Sometimes with early HE ammo you can get lucky and knock out the tracks on an enemy tank. Then I am sure it will count as "dead", and you will be able to win if enough of their infantry are gone. Just wait until you have a clear shot, don't give your tanks free reign on their fire.

Of course, if your gun's caliber is big enough, you can obliterate their tanks with HE rounds, but that only happens later in the war.