Life indeed imitating art

From the BBC

Roads named after Discworld books

_45636969_007133453-1.jpg Sir Terry Pratchett unveiled the road names in the town

Discworld author Sir Terry Pratchett has unveiled road names at a new housing estate in Somerset which were named after the fictional world.

Peach Pie Street and Treacle Mine Road are included in a list named in honour of the comic fantasy novels at the Kingwell Rise development in Wincanton.

On Sunday Sir Terry visited the town to unveil the road names.

Wincanton was officially twinned in 2002 with the fictional city of Ankh-Morpork from the Discworld novels.

Developer George Wimpey asked residents to vote for their favourite road name from a shortlist of 14 suggestions made by Sir Terry.

He said: "I think it's a lovely idea, even though it makes my head spin to think of the books becoming a little closer to reality."

Richard Goad, of George Wimpey, said: "With Wincanton's well-established links with Ankh-Morpork, it seemed fitting to name the roads at Kingwell Rise after places in Discworld."

Councillor Colin Winder, former Mayor of Wincanton, said: "The association with Discworld works extremely well for our town, helping to boost the local economy.

"I even know of three families who moved to Wincanton because of this quirky connection."