A video battle report on Circle the Wagons

Hello everybody

I've recently finished playing this scenario and thus concludes the AAR i was making on this challenging battle (i thought i announced it here, but it seems not :rolleyes:). This time, instead of taking various screenshots of the (intense) fighting, i recorded a video for each turn, until the situation was no more interesting. So you'll have the first 12 on the 15-16 the fight took to play.

Basically I played the syrian and opted for an immediate furious assault, to not let time to the marines to organize (and took positions etc...). Something like a daredevil attack (it's the idea) where i took a lot of risk exposing my troops with the goal of destroying the armored units at all costs.

It worked well, though i had a lot of causalties, as i managed to quickly neutralize the two M1 and their 3 AAV backup (one M1 is immediatly neutralized, while the other will took a lot of hits before finally be destroyed). As for the reinforcing wave of AAV, i was lucky enough to destroy 3 of the 4 vehicules.

It was far more difficult to neutralize marines infantry. Some units were ambushed, and thus their firepower was seriously reduced, but other of course managed to took position in the surrounding building. And then the syrian infantry (often basic recruit), already having troubles with the armored units, was unable to do anything to finish the defenders.

All in all destroying the vehicules gaves me a major victory and the last turns you won't see here are mostly marines securing their perimeter and syrian beginning to flee. When we decided a cease fire, most surviving syrian units were at best tired and with very few ammo left (and a lot usually panicked earlier or were severly shaken).

There is two way to watch those video. Either you use this playlist, which will allows you to see them one by one, either you try this solution, which is some basic "editing" i made to make the viewing more comfortable.

Note that the second solution won't allow you to have a good quality of image, though it is still correct to look at. For better quality, use the the playlist and switch to HQ.

This second solution is just a good way to watch the complete battle in full screen and without having to interact with the playlist. Said otherwise, it's like a mini-movie, you just sit and watch.

I advise you to launch it in full screen, and to simply took a bit of distance from your computer screen (1 meter shall do the trick). The pixelating will disapear and you'll have a nice view of the battle. Also it's not long, it took only 13 minutes and even in full screen, you may still pause or jump to next / last turn if needed.

Lastly, note that i made those videos with the goal of capturing the battlefield (or the flow of the battle), if i may say it this way, and i encoded them to be light, so even in HQ, it's more precise to allow to see more little details, but it's still light.

I'll make higher quality next time :) Anyway, to sum it up, try this solution for a nice view, and if you want more detail use this playlist.

Enjoy !

• 7 months later...

Hi all

So, i've uploaded those videos on Youtube and added for each a translation resuming what's happening. Here's a link for this playlist, and a copy of the text, if you want to have a quick view.

---

Turn 1 : one M1 and one AAV are destroyed immediatly. Two marines squads are ambushed and are taking a lot of casualties. A third Marines squad is forced to disembark without any cover.

Turn 2 : the second M1 has been hit but survived and is firing everywhere around him. Marines disembarking from AAV are under heavy fire.

Turn 3 : a lot of casualties on the syrian side. Some Marines find shelter in two buildings, thus beginning to establish a defensive perimeter. Others Marines are retreating. The surviving M1 is still firing all around, though he often miss his targets.

Turn 4 : a second AAV is destroyed. A smoke screen is launched to cover the M1, which is wreaking havoc amongst syrians now.

Turn 5 : the third AAV is hit and destroyed while retreating. The wind is pushing away the smoke screen, allowing syrians to fire again on the M1. But the tank resists again. Marines soldiers are fighting back from the buildings where they took cover, though currently with not a lot of success.

Turn 6 : Marines reinforcements are arriving. 4 AAV full of soldiers rush into the battle. On the other side, syrians also has some backup. A syrian unit manages to fire a rocket and completely miss his target. The rocket will hit another hidden syrian unit ... In the town center, fights are less intense, many syrians are fleeing, or changing position while Marines are trying to ripost.

Turn 7 : heroically, some surviving syrians soldiers took a RPG 7 amongst dead bodies and use it to strike a deadly blow on the second M1. The defending syrians on the outskirts of the town are blown in pieces by a rain of grenades. Several syrian antitanks squads are taking position on the flank of the Marines reinforcements. In the town center the fights are suddenly more intense.

Turn 8 : syrian reinforcements being mostly unexperienced conscripts, things are becoming a bit more easier for the Marines soldiers. Even with a lot of casualties, they manage to hold their position.

Turn 9 : antitanks syrian squads launched a deadly counter-attack, destroying three AAV in a minute. The ambushed syrian at the entry of the town finally took the RPG 9 from his dead companion (killed by a syrian rocket just before ...) and used it very well, just before dying too. Marines soldiers are exiting the destroyed AAV and taking positions.

Turn 10 : violent fights between syrians and the defending Marines. Syrians are having a lot of troubles keeping their positions.

Turn 11 : US mortars are firing, but mostly missing the syrians squads. The Marines are taking control of new positions.

Turn 12 : most of the surviving syrian soldiers are either exhausted or panicked, and thus even if a few are still fighting, most of them are fleeing. There's nothing more to do for the syrian in this battle, which will end a few turns later with a cease fire. All in all, just one AAV will have survived the fight. It's a major victory for the syrian, having destroyed the two M1 compensate a lot for the heavy casualties the syrian suffered.