MODS! How to install/change/upgrade?

Hello,

Firstly, how does one install a specific mod?

Just open the zip file into the CM directory and off we go or are there complications to that? Any tips in installing the mod elegantly in case you want to upgrade/change it?

Secondly, if you do want to change/upgrade the mod or install a different mod of the same feature, say, German uniforms, then how do you do this? Does the3 second file override the first or do you have to erase the first before/after installing the second mod?

Thanks for any help, sincerely.

FUBAR'D

It depends whether you use modmanager or or not. Either way, you may find it helpful to create a mod folder in CMBO and place all you zipped files in there. If you are using modmanager you should also place that in the modfolder. If not, it doesn't matter. Some mods are fairly big and contain loads on files and some only a few. Obviously it is easier to work out what is what in the smaller ones.

The best approach IMO is to double click the mod zip (which will cause winzip to open it as a temp file) and then just double click on each file which will open it for you to see. BMP files are graphics and WAV files are sounds. If you like what you see you can just copy the contents into the BMP or WAV folders within CMBO as appropriate. You should install the bigger mods first (eg MDMP 1 & 2) and the smaller ones later. The reason for this, as you indicate is yes they will overwrite each other. Some of the mods come with options, such as the 5015 (German helmet options) in Fernando's Axis Winter uniforms. They will be numbered something like 5015-a, 5015-b etc. In those cases have a look and see which one you like the most before installing it and label that one as 5015.bmp. When installed it will overwrite 5015 (CM will not recognise the others 5015-a etc but they will still copy across, which is handy, gives you chance to chop and change).

There is an excellent guide by OldDog called Mods for Newbies. I think it is available at the CM OUTPOST. If not, post here and I will mail my copy.

Modmanager is a programme which makes installing multiple mods easier (IMO). You can also add mods one at a time if you wish. It also provides you wit a list of what's been installed to your game. You can get it at CMHQ under 'third party mods'. Download the 'f' patch to it as well. I think there is another patch for it too but I've not bothered yet.

Just a couple of things with modmanager. You must install the biggies first (eg at the bottom). Things like MDMP1 etc and terrain sets. As you put a mod in it overwrites previous versions (no point putting in a few treeas and buildings then adding a complete terrain set that overwrites the lot). Also, you must still look at each mod and it's read me file. Some of the zip files have the actual mod zips bundled inside them, Fernando's Sdkfz 251-1s are an example and you need to put those zips in the mod file. There is a readme with modmanager - have a look at it. I also find it very useful to download my mods to a 'mods for viewing' folder first. That way I don't forget what I've got to look at.

Basic instructions for mod installing.

Texture files are simple .BMP's and Sound files are simple .WAV's.

Unzip a mod file into a temp folder and then look at the contained files. Read the readmes first to check for any special instructions. Follow them, if not, just copy over .bmp files into the Bmp folder and then copy over .wav files into the Wav folder.

Scenario files are in .cmb and .cmc format. Copy those over to the Scenario folder.

Pretty simple really.