Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

See Mil Chan's "Top Sniper II" if you can!

I've watched a number of documentaries on sniping development, history and training, but I can safely state that I've never seen anything quite like this before. If you have any interest in the art and science of sniping, then I highly recommend you catch this when it rebroadcasts in two parts. From various clips, I think there's enough material in the grueling competition for an entire series. What's shown covers only a few of the 17 events. Of particular interest to this community will be the M110 SASS, MOUT countersniper ops, target discrimination while engaging moving targets, the KIMS (Keeep In Memory System), the Boomerang sniper fire detection and direction system and the obviously not modeled in CMSF sniper techniques for firing from a moving helo at static ground targets. The advantages and disadvantages of the different weapons are quite in evidence in various situations, as are great sniper VO stuff, loads of great sniper team sequences and gear, and the peculiar advantages of semiautomatic sniper rifles over bolt action weapons. The lessons learned in Iraq are highlighted in the various elements of the competition, to include particular emphasis on alternate firing positions (positions other than firing while prone).

Regards,

John Kettler

I was right! It's 6:53 p.m. PDT, and there's a new segment airing on long range sniping.

Learned that doctrine for snipers is to switch to pistols when threat is at 30 meter or less range. Also, at Najaf in 2004, a single inserted sniper was instrumental in protecting a baker's dozen of PMCs facing some 1500 insurgents at ranges from 50 to in excess of 800 meters. A marked pushback effect was noted as precision fire (only weapon on the rooftop capable of it) forced the attackers farther and farther back, exacting a toll regardless and completely stalling then beating away the attack. There's another segment airing after this. This one just got through covering a simulated convoy attack, with the sniper team on a Stryker and debussing after an IED attack stalls the convoy long enough for the insurgents to assault with infantry.

Regards,

John Kettler