Registry optimizer for XP?

After switching from Win98 to XP some weeks ago I've been searching for a competent registry cleanup tool, with no satisfactory result to date. Does XP have a regcleaner built in? I certainly can't find anything. Nor can I find a regcleaner for XP on the MS site. I know there are a few apparently good utility suites on the market (Norton Utilities/Cleansweep, Fix-It, Registry Mechanic etc.) but I already have enough security stuff running in the background so I'm hoping to find a small regcleaner tool I can run if and when necessary. Something that rids the registry of any no-longer-needed entries with little or no input from me... Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris Walker

Thanks for the warning Rob. That must have been a major pain. I suppose a competent registry cleaner tool should back up the registry before it starts deleting stuff and provide a restore function if things go wrong. I know I'm not going to fiddle around with things I don't fully understand without some sort of safety net.