Low Frame Rate Problem

Hi All

Not so long ago, a collegue at work introduced me Shock Force and i love it. I never thought of myself as a RTS man but it is simply addictive.

Now to the problem in hand, firstly my PC Specs

Q6600 2,4 Quad

4 Gig of Ram

EVGA Nvidia 260 216 core

Vista x86

As the specs suggest my comp is no slouch, yet when there are a large amount of entities on screen, my frame rate drops well below 25fps and it becomes a bit of a slide show. I have checked the forums and done a few things here and there, like disable "threaded optimization" and i also tweak the graphics settings in game, latest drivers etc etc.

If i turn the model detail down to "fastest" and disable shadows then my frame rate is never a problem, but lets be honest, that is pathetic for my system and the games units no longer look impressive. I checked with the guy in work, and although i dnt know what specs he has got, he stated they are well below mine, yet he has the settings on max, with no frame rate issue.

Now i know there are a lot of calculations going on in the background, for ballistics etc, but considering i can play Far Cry 2, Dawn of War 2, COD 4 all on maximum settings without breaking a sweat, and they are somewhat graphically more advanced than CMSF.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to why i am getting peformance issues, when i firmly beleive i shouldnt?

Regards

Whisky-Delta

Agreed, with your specs this should fly. My rig is similar: q6600 at 3.0, 8800gtx, vista64, 8 gig ram. As you say, this program flies (1920x1200). I run other programs in the background. I'm not a tech expert, but something isn't quite right. The obvious question: have you patched CMSF to v1.11?

A far better person to have give you help is Schrullenhaft. He's around on these forums.

Enjoy the game!

Ken

I can confirm i have patched to 1.11,graphics driver is 182.??, the machine is running efficiently (recetly reformated), i have done all the tricks in the book to improve pc performance, and i am quite compentant when it comes to computers.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. I am downloading TOW2, so will see what performance is like in that, judging from the screens it is direct x no open gl

Regards

Whisky-Delta

• 3 weeks later...

I run XP, on a machine a couple of years old, and with specs lower than yours. Recently I experienced the jerky "slide show" you describe. I started by reducing the resolution to non-widescreen format, and the jerkiness went away. Based on that, I decided there must be a fix, and had a play with the NVIDIA settings. I'll set them out below (the full monty default version I use for most games, and the tweaked version for CMSF). I am not saying they will double your frame rate, but for me they did get rid of the "slide show" feel. Hope it helps:

Global Default Settings:

Anisotropic filtering = 16x

Antialiasing Gamma correction = On

Antialiasing mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing setting = 16xQ

Antialiasing transparency = Supersampling

Conformant texture clamp = Use hardware

Extension limit = Off

Force mipmaps = Trilinear

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 8

Multi display/mixed GPU acceleration = Single GPU multiple display performance mode

Texture filtering – negative LOD bias = Clamp

Texture filtering – Quality = High Quality

Triple buffering = On

Vertical Sync = Use the application setting

CM specific settings

Anisotropic filtering = 2x

Antialiasing Gamma correction = Use Global Setting (On)

Antialiasing mode = Use Global Setting (On)

Antialiasing setting = 4x

Antialiasing transparency = Multisampling

Conformant texture clamp = Use Global Setting (Use hardware)

Extension limit = Use Global Setting (Off)

Force mipmaps = Use Global Setting (Trilinear)

Maximum pre-rendered frames = Use Global Setting (8)

Multi display/mixed GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode

Texture filtering – anisotropic sample optimisation = Off

Texture filtering – negative LOD bias = Clamp

Texture filtering – Quality = Quality

Texture filtering – Trilinear optimisation = On

Triple buffering = Use Global Setting (On)

Texture filtering – Anisotropic mip filter optimisation = Off

Vertical Sync = Use Global Setting (Use the 3D application setting)