Ships vs Tank Corp Cost

Recently I learned from a British Admiralty 1942 claim that a heavy cruiser is equivalent to 240 tanks. That triggered a memory of Hitler saying, as memory serves, "I don't see a battleship anymore, I see 200 - 300 Tigers".

Y'know where this is going...The Production Cost of a Tank Corps, if there's 500 or more tanks, then the Cost of a Battleship and Cruisers should be less than that of a Tank Corps. My estimation is that the BB in SC2 may be 100 points too much, and the CAs (assuming they represent 2) are 50 or so over priced.

• 2 weeks later...
Recently I learned from a British Admiralty 1942 claim that a heavy cruiser is equivalent to 240 tanks. That triggered a memory of Hitler saying, as memory serves, "I don't see a battleship anymore, I see 200 - 300 Tigers".

Y'know where this is going...The Production Cost of a Tank Corps, if there's 500 or more tanks, then the Cost of a Battleship and Cruisers should be less than that of a Tank Corps. My estimation is that the BB in SC2 may be 100 points too much, and the CAs (assuming they represent 2) are 50 or so over priced.

Upon reviewing my Royal Navy film, dated February 1944:

"The ten thousand ton, heavy cruiser is equivalent to 250 tanks."

I only mention this because my review of the build costs for ships, except CVs, seems to be too high. Ships are in inflated by 50 - 100 points.

I have never seen these types of ships purchased in a game.

Due to mass production wouldnt it be cheaper to build X number of tanks with the same material vs a battle group? And while the navel units have indivadual names, in the game perspective dont they represent many other smaller units. After all if we went the route that they are one ship, the subs are horidly over priced, but as a Wolf Pack, or US sub division they fall closely into the right price.

I have never seen these types of ships purchased in a game.

Due to mass production wouldnt it be cheaper to build X number of tanks with the same material vs a battle group? And while the navel units have indivadual names, in the game perspective dont they represent many other smaller units. After all if we went the route that they are one ship, the subs are horidly over priced, but as a Wolf Pack, or US sub division they fall closely into the right price.

I've made the assumption that the DDs and SSs represent many ships. And I can rationalize that the CAs represent two sister ships since the graphic shows two. Using the heavy cruiser as a benchmark since there is an official reference to one heavy being equivalent to 250 tanks. An average Tank Corps/Army will have 500+ tanks which should equal two Cruisers...the numbers do not add up. It seem arbitrary to me and coupled with the postings that players don't even bother with building ships or repairing them makes the point. Yes, there are tenders, oilers and tug boats etc. but the relative cost in this game scale is what?....20 Mpp?

My conclusion is that the Cruisers should be 200 to 250 points.

Battleship 300 - 350

Carrier 400 - 425

In addition, repair costs make ships obsolete in Waw game parameters.