Problem using Winamp while playing...help?

Got a problem here.

I like to play MP3’s while I play the game. The problem is when I use Winamp in the background I get stuttered and choppy sound in the game. When I use Windows Media Player 9 or Foobar 0.8 everything plays fine.

I would like to use Winamp because it is my main player. I have tried playing with all the settings in Winamp I could think to try but nothing seems to make a difference. Does anyone have any ideas why WMP9 and Foobar work but Winamp doesn’t?

Thanks for the help!

Jordan “AstroCat”

I'm using the latest, 5.02 and I have everything closed and Winamp minimized down to the systray.

Any ideas?

Jordan "AstroCat"

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Make sure your Winamp isn't running any heavy plugins, like visualizers or sound mixers.

What version of Winamp are you using?

Originally posted by AstroCat:

I'm using the latest, 5.02 and I have everything closed and Winamp minimized down to the systray.

Oy! Winamp 5 is not kosher. You could try downgrading to Winamp 2.

If that is not the problem, then I have but two other probable causes for your mischief:

1) Extremely stressed processor (you should be experiencing choppy animations as well in this case)

2) Some mystic graphics card issue.

Anyhow, the only reasonable explanation that I can figure is that the Winamp somehow causes strain unlike the WMP. Try Winamp 2.91 . ;)

Hmmm...well I'm kind of attached to the features of version 5. I checked my CPU and MEM utilization when combat mission is running and winamp is taking up very, very little resources. It must be something else. hmmm...well using foobar while I play games is no big deal really.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan "AstroCat"

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AstroCat:

Oy! Winamp 5 is not kosher. You could try downgrading to Winamp 2.

If that is not the problem, then I have but two other probable causes for your mischief:

1) Extremely stressed processor (you should be experiencing choppy animations as well in this case)

2) Some mystic graphics card issue.

Anyhow, the only reasonable explanation that I can figure is that the Winamp somehow causes strain unlike the WMP. Try Winamp 2.91 . ;) </font>

I would suspect your soundcard or its drivers are to blame. I have seen this happen alot with integrated sound as opposed to dedicated cards, which run fine.

An easy way to check would be to use windows media player to play the music while playing CM. If it is still choppy, consider investing in a new dedicated sound card.

WWB

Thanks for the reply...I have no problems using Windows Media Player 9 or Foobar 0.8 to play music while running combat mission. I only get the stuttering and crackling when using winamp.

I have an Audigy 2 with the latest drivers and everything else runs fine.

Any ideas what is up with Winamp specifically? I am very familiar with the configuration of Winamp and still can not make it work simultaneously with CM.

Jordan "AstroCat"

Originally posted by WWB:

I would suspect your soundcard or its drivers are to blame. I have seen this happen alot with integrated sound as opposed to dedicated cards, which run fine.

An easy way to check would be to use windows media player to play the music while playing CM. If it is still choppy, consider investing in a new dedicated sound card.

WWB

Originally posted by AstroCat:

Any ideas what is up with Winamp specifically? I am very familiar with the configuration of Winamp and still can not make it work simultaneously with CM.

Come to think of it, Winamp 2 and 5 are two completely different programs: you could simply install the older version beside Winamp 5, and try whether it functions better with CM.

I could try Winamp2 but Foobar 0.8 has low CPU usage and it has "gapless" playback so I think I'll be cool for my CM sessions.

Thanks!

Jordan "AstroCat"

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AstroCat:

Come to think of it, Winamp 2 and 5 are two completely different programs: you could simply install the older version beside Winamp 5, and try whether it functions better with CM. </font>