Schrullenhaft, corrupted text in-game after a while.

Maximus

This problem started fairly recently. I would be playing and then all of a sudden the text in the Unit Info box (after you hit Enter) and the "penetration" text will get corrupted and start flickering and stuff.

It is fixed simply by saving and then aborting and then reloading the game, but why it happens I don't understand.

I'm still using the 6.47 drivers for my Geforce 2. Nothing has changed except for a recent upgrade to DX8, but I have reinstalled the drivers since then due to a really stupid thing I did with regards to desktop resolution. (I run at 1280x1024 with Large Fonts, I went down to 640x480 just to run a the AA: MoH Normandy movie at a larger "res" and then realized that the Display Settings window doesn't resize and I couldn't hit the "Apply" button when trying to reset my resolution back to normal, so I had to boot to safe mode and remove drivers and then reinstall.)

I'm not sure if it does this when I have FSAA activated or not, but with 6.47 drivers it shouldn't do this anyway, right?

Did you reinstall DirectX 8.0a before or after you installed the NVidia drivers ? Usually you'll want to install DirectX before you install the drivers.

6.47 drivers should have no problems with CMBO, even with FSAA (at least that's been my impression). What is your current FSAA setting ?

Here's one nVidia driver uninstaller. I seen others, but can't recall where at the moment:

the Skirrid (go to the 'nvidia related files' section > 'skirrid's driver remover'):

http://www.theskirrid.co.uk/files.htm

Or you can get NVCleaner:

Guru3D ('Downloads' in left-hand column > 'Download generic utilities...' > 'Videocard Utilities' > NVCleaner):

http://www.guru3d.com/

Hopefully between cleaning up any older drivers, reinstalling DirectX 8.0a and then your chosen version of nVidia drivers things should return to normal.

Well as I said, I upgraded to 8.0 due to a game I bought that required it. Then after that is when I to remove and then reinstall my video drivers, so that shouldn't be the problem unless as you said that there is some garbage left over.

However, this corruption only occurs every once in a while. That's why it's so strange. It'll be fine during a game, and then all of a sudden I'll notice something that's screwed up. And then I'll check some things that I know would also be screwed up and they are.

Basically in the Unit Info box, it will have all the data will be replaced with the same number and it will have some lines flickering through it. The next time it happens I could take a screen shot of it and send it to ya.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

This problem started fairly recently. I would be playing and then all of a sudden the text in the Unit Info box (after you hit Enter) and the "penetration" text will get corrupted and start flickering and stuff.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

*Exactly* the same thing happens to me!! Started a few weeks ago. No DirectX touched (it worked for long with version 8). Must check, but it's possible that I touched something in the 3D card settings (FSAA? Don't remember). I'm not at home now, so I'll check and see if I can give some additional info.

Aaah I feel better now that I'm not the only one to suffer (sorry Maximus smile.gif ).

Sig

You guys arent overclocking your CPU's or video cards by chance are you?

The video corruption is normally displayed immeditaely if there is some sort of setting issue, it doesnt normally degrqade over time.

The only time I have seen the display gradually become more and more corrupted were during times when the CPU or video was being overclocked and heat became an issue.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

The only time I have seen the display gradually become more and more corrupted were during times when the CPU or video was being overclocked and heat became an issue.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No overclocking, but now that you mention it, the 2 times that it has happened was during large maps with lots of hi-res stuff loaded.

For example I was playing "All or Nothing"...huge map right. I'm running 1.2GHz Athlon and 64MB Geforce 2GTS. With any trees turned on my framerates sucked. I thought I was playing on my old Celeron 433. Turned the trees off and my framerates went back to normal. Of course I'm loaded down with tons of Hi-Res stuff.

The other scenario was "Champ de Mars". Again a fairly large map. But not as complex as "All or Nothing". Of course with Tanks a Lot's super-hi-res buildings and Gunnergoz's super-hi-res dark field grass. I can see where heat may become an issue.

So I guess when this happens, I'll just shut down for a while and come back to it later.

I've got pretty decent cooling in my case though. A total of 6 fans.

No overclocking either. Have a PII 333MHz 128M Ram with a Hercules 3D Prophet SE 32M. However, summer was quite hot these days, so maybe you have something here Matt. Will see: temperature has dropped quite a bit recently. So if the problem continues, I suppose that one of the first things to do will be to open the box to check for dust or so on the cooling element (or fan malfunction on the video card)... Gack...I will have to clear up my desk to gain easy access to the computer and I hate that smile.gif .

Sig

I don't know but this sounds similar to what I'm suffering with the files my PBEM partner sent me on a scenario we are playtesting. Huge map with reinforced battalion size forces on both sides. The only difference is that we're both using Macs while your'e using PC's. Maybe the CM drivers can't handle the production of the instructions correctly which is why the files get corrupted. At least it seems logical. Any ideas MadMatt?

I don't know but this sounds similar to what I'm suffering with the files my PBEM partner sent me on a scenario we are playtesting. Huge map with reinforced battalion size forces on both sides. The only difference is that we're both using Macs while your'e using PC's. Maybe the CM drivers can't handle the production of the instructions correctly which is why the files get corrupted. At least it seems logical. Any ideas MadMatt?