Scenario: Baker-1 from the CMSF CD

Hey folks,

Anybody play the battle that comes with CMSF called BAKER-1? It's at night, in a built up area. You've got to secure a site where one of your Abrams was damaged by an IED. The onslaught commences.

I had a good time playing the battle, but ultimately was left dissatisfied. I was wondering if some of you might have some feed back. (I did a search but could not find a previous discussion about Baker-1.)

***SPOILER ALERT!!!***

I loved the map. I was excited about the force mix and the tactical challenges faced by the commander, right up front. Which route to take. Which forces to send. How best to defend the isolated position guarding the unlucky Abrams. How soon could I get help to them. The IED threat. ((!!)

I chose to ignore the approach route advised in the briefing, around the old city and past the Mosque. Instead, I went immediately East and through the palm groves, into the south portion of town.

The enemy began arriving and the excitement started. But eventually, so did my discontent. As though it was thrilling to engage the enemy BMPs with my immobilize Abrams, I made short work of anything that moved. Soon there were 10 or 12 BMPs blown to bits and I knew they were likely to have contained squads of infantry. So by the time my lead squads arrived in town, a big part of the fight was over. All thanks to one single Abrams.

My first relief platoon secured the North Eastern edge of the Palm grove, making sure no baddies came wandering out of the Old City. Keeping an eye on the Mosque.

My 2nd relief platoon (and third) infiltrated the city south of the objective and manned rooftops and ground floors looking for an attack the never came.

Well, an extra attack DID come in the form of T-72s. But as my infantry was armed with Javelin's and up on the rooftops, soon there were no more T-72s.

Half an hour into the battle, there was no more enemy activity. I think I lost 4 dead and 8 wounded. I reviewed the map and could see no IED's anywhere. But I did find LOTs of troops (4 platoons at least) still sitting in their set-up positions. I never knew they were there.

Afterwords I started the game from the Syrian side (and half way through it's an immense challenge). I have some questions for the designer and the forum (especially scenario builders).

As the Syrians, the IEDs do indeed show up. In fact, by default they are in an area of the Palm Groves where two of my U.S. platoons had previously wandered through oblivious to the fact. They never went off.

Does the A.I. target (activate) "wire" operated IEDs? Or do they only function with human players?

As I'm playing the Syrian side, their spotting at night is HORRIBLE. Even though my ATGM team has a blue LOS/LOF bar into an intersection, enemy vehicles can drive in and park there without my team ever noticing (let alone firing).

What portion of the Syrian side has NIGHT VISION?

Does experience count towards spotting at night?

I would have expected my T-72s do spot better at night and they did. But not by much.

If the designer is reading this I'd like him to know that I had a great time playing the scenario, but I'm curious if it played out OTHER than was intended. Was there an A.I. Plan that didn't engage for me?

Thanks!!

I really loved this one too. I've never noticed red troops sitting at startup. I've always had the initial wave of reds coming down the main road, followed by the tanks coming in from the right side. If you set your units up correctly, you can't lose. The first time I played it though, I was surprised by the tanks and had quite a crazy time trying to kill a couple of them who were in perfect positions.

If I were to change anything, it would be to add another wave of reds following the tanks. This third wave would try to flank me and it would be a bit more challenging. Either way, I love this one.

1 killed, 2 wounded my first playthrough. The IEDs were placed directly in front of the Bradley facing the initial onslaught. I ignored the proscribed movement plan and just cut straight through the palm groove and up to the wounded tank, then made several strongpoints with AT teams and MGs. Only problem was when one very bold T-72 rushed up to the building a mechanized infantry squad was in and plastered them with a 125mm round before getting chewed up by a Brad's 25mm gun and AT4s. Mortars got a bit of a workout keeping the first wave in their place, then gnawed on what my MGs left over of the second wave from the Old Quarter.

Gpig,

It was mine. As for your question, depends on what AI plan was used, I used all 5 ai plans on this one. Each one has different units moving different ways. Also remember, this was made before a lot of changes to the game. I would add AI artillery now, and put some more IEDs in the way you went. Was meant to be played either way, but with al lthe game changes not sure how it would do as Syrian now.

Glad you like it. It did play differently under 1.01, but glad people are still ahving fun with it.

Rune

Was meant to be played either way, but with al lthe game changes not sure how it would do as Syrian now.

Honest answer? Like Santa Claus going twelve rounds with Iron Mike Tyson.

Glad you like it. It did play differently under 1.01, but glad people are still ahving fun with it

This is the important part. It is a nice little scenario, even if imbalanced.

Thanks Rune, :)

Looks like I'll have to try it again as the BLUE side to experience another RED plan. Love this game.

I'm having a great time playing as the red forces. Doing quite well, despite the spotting frustrations at night. Grrrrr!

Gpig