Help! Beta Direct Draw needs update!?

Ive got this button that is popping up on my screen/desktop about every 2 minutes that says "Beta Direct Draw expired/please update".

The only option is to answer "ok". What the h**l is beta direct draw, where do I get update? I do think its something with the directx or graphicdrivers ,eh? Please help me out here, its very annoying. Thank you very much!

What version of Windows are you running and what version of DirectX ? It sounds as if someone had installed a beta copy of DirectX on your computer.

Assuming that your current video card and sound drivers won't have any compatibility problems... you can download the latest released version of DirectX here:

DirectX 8.0a (Windows 95B, 98 and ME):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=27741

Where did you get the DirectX 8.1 ? It's still beta, so you would need to reinstall it, assuming it isn't using a fixed calendar date for its 'expired' message. If reinstalling it doesn't work, then the cure is worse than the pain - you would have to wipe out Windows and reinstall from scratch (it would be nice if Microsoft just made it so you had to jump through several dialog boxes to downgrade your DirectX version). Windows ME comes with DirectX 7.1, which should be fine for CMBO.

If you want to download a beta build of DirectX 8.1 (build 648) here's a location that is still up. Depending on how it compares to your build it may or may not install:

http://www.tweak.dk/andre.php

Thanks, I downloaded the 8.1 and installed it and it seemed to work alright, the popup message is gone so far as I can see. I think its pretty rediculous that you cant uninstall the directx or "downgrade". Its the same thing with that stupid mediaplayer in millenium, can't uninstall that thing either.

Anyway thanks for the help smile.gif

there isn't ever a need to "downgrade" directx...each new version is backwards-compatible with all older versions. You may have to get new drivers that are compatible with whatever version of DX you have, but that's not a MS problem, they don't write the drivers...your hardware company does.

If you had a beta, and you have problem, then at some point you should of read the "This product is Beta, and for testing only...don't put it on a computer you don't want to format in case of problems" message...all MS beta programs make you read that before install...don't click "next" until you've read the screens (:

personally, I feel running a beta version of directx is kinda silly, because it means there isn't any drivers for it yet, and no software that takes advantage of anything new added yet...although I'd be curious where you got it (: Access to that meant you had to of signed up for beta-testing with MS, and gone thru the dance required to be accepted.