Live Game Troubles

Mies

Hi,

A friend I are in the middle of a 1000-point CMBB QB on a medium map. We are having tremendous trouble in keeping the connection alive.

System specs:

Host machine PIV 1.8 GHZ

Windows 98

512 Megs RAM

Nvidia Geforce card (64MB)

ADSL internet connection

Client machine1 AMD 1.2 GHZ

Windows XP Pro

512 Megs RAM

Nvidia Geforce2 MX/?? Graphic card (32MB)

Cable modem (not broadband ..yet)

Client machine2 Laptop PIII 1 GHZ

Windows 2000

256 Megs RAM

SIS integrated graphics card (16 MB on card 32 extended through bios)

Cable modem (not broadband ..yet)

We are both running CMBB with the 1.01 patch installed.

What happens is this:

- We both make our moves and hit go.

- The data transfer starts.

- Sometimes the red line completes and it says “completing Upload”.

- Sometimes the data upload doesn’t complete.

- A message appears saying “Lost data connection, resume from autosave game” or somefink.

- CM needs to be closed and restarted on both machines, otherwise it freezes on the host machine with a ping and crashes on the client with an “unhandled exception error”.

The question is, is this a know issue with the game? Could it be a tcp/ip problem? Could it be caused by Wanadoo as cable ISP (heard other people had problems with that too).

Thanks a lot for the help. I really need to kick some German b*tt :D .

Mies

[ January 23, 2003, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Mies ]

I don't know anything about Wanadoo's internet performance, but high latencies could be a factor/reason for your problem. I'm not sure what the timeouts are for CMBB (which are hard coded to my knowledge - or limited to what OpenPlay can handle) when it comes to receiving TCP packets.

You say two of the computers have 'cable modems' but they aren't hooked up to 'broadband'. If they aren't hooked up, then what are they using for an internet connection - a dial up modem ?

CMBO had a consistent problem with captured crews causing the data download to crash on the client. This problem no longer exists in CMBB, but there is a possibility of other TCP/IP problems in CMBB. If you can reproduce the problem consistently I suggest sending the scenario and your save game to matt@battlefront.com so that he may look it over and determine if the latest patch may or may not address this problem (if it is consistent and not caused by your ISP).

Hi Again,

As to the two cable connections, I am on a small private network with both computers hooked up to an old computer running a Linux router. That machine is connected to the Internet through a go between, between a telephone modem and a normal cable connection. The modem is hooked up to the cable but uses something like digital to analogue modulation to get data across. This would explain the high latency times as it’s max speed is the same a from a regular telephone connection.

Regarding the reproduction of this problem, we do have a saved game, which we couldn’t get through because the connection was closed every time we tried to load the game. We have now continued that turn by e-mail. I don’t know if this will happen on two other machines with different connections though.

Thanks a lot!

Mies

At the moment we are continuing the game as PBEM. We are going to try resuming a live game as both of us have some time and try to pick a time were everyone is a sleep to make sure of an as good as possible connection.

Mies

The solution to this problem seems to be as simple and easy as can be. I removed my whole CMBB installation and re-installed the game from cd again. For some reason something in the original installation was wrong because after the installation we were able to finish the game (some 20 turn) without any problems.

Mies